There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

The New Goshen

In chapter 46 of Genesis, Jacob and the rest of the 70 family members set out to reunite with Joseph (who is now vice-regent of Egpyt). Verse 28 tells us Jacob "sent Judah before him to Joseph, to point out the way before him to Goshen; and they came into the land of Goshen."

As I finished the verse I wondered why Jacob chose Judah -- who was the fourth oldest son -- and not Reuben, the eldest. In that culture it was virtually always the first born who had honors such as that placed on him.

I believe the choice was prophetic, that Jacob's choice looked forward toward Jesus our savior, who is of the tribe of Judah. In fact, Jesus is called "the Lion of the tribe of Judah" in Revelation 5:5.

Jesus said of Himself, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but by me" (John 14:6); The Lord also said to those who rejected Him: "Unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins" (John 8:24); and St. Peter added, "There is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

Unless we follow the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, who goes before us "to point out the way" to the new Goshen (we call, heaven), we will surely, without doubt, lose our way -- and our souls.

No comments: