There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, July 13, 2009

At His Bidding

Peter and the others were exhausted -- and disappointed. They'd worked hard all night without success. Now they were on shore, washing their nets and getting ready to head for home empty handed for all their labor.

Then Jesus comes along and tells them to push out again into the water and let down their nets.

And that's when St. Peter says something I hope to never forget -- and to always put into practice, regardless how tired or discouraged I might be:

Master, we worked hard all night and caught nothing, but at your bidding I will let down the nets (Luke 5:5).

My responsibility is not to assess the outcome of my work for His kingdom -- even if my work looks useless. My responsibility is to simply do what He tells me to do -- again and again -- even if I don't see the value in it.

But at Your bidding I will let down the nets.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mother Theresa said, "The Lord is not looking for our success, but for our faithfulness." When all seems useless, we cast the net and continue to work and the success comes as a gift for our being faithful.

Rich Maffeo said...

You are right, of course. The hard part (for me, anyway) is to keep slogging forward when it looks like the road is going nowhere. And so I am reminded of St. Paul's comment to the Corinthians: "Be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord" (1 Cor 15:58).