There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

God Meant it for Good

During my time with the Lord this morning I rehearsed one of my memory verses, "As for you, you meant evil against me. But God meant it for good, to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive" (Genesis 50:20).

You might remember the context. Many years earlier, Joseph's brothers planned to kill him, but sold him into slavery instead. And now, Joseph is vice-regent of Egypt, and his brothers are afraid he might decide it's payback time.

Joseph did not dilute his brothers' sin. He recognized it -- and he forced them to do the same. But Joseph also looked beyond the past and to the power of God to turn even evil into something good.

As I reflected on Joseph's words, my gaze drifted to the crucifix on the wall in front of my couch and recognized the connection.

The people who cried out, "Crucify Him. Crucify Him" meant it for evil. But God -- oh! But God meant it for good, to bring about the present result that anyone who calls on the name of the Lord -- anyone who recognizes his or her complicity in Jesus' death -- will live forever.

Who can ever understand the power, the mercy, the love of God?

1 comment:

ryalls said...

This is a hope filled quote. We had just bought a house in Littleton CO when Columbine happened. Despite this great evil act, it brought together a community in a powerful way. The highschoolers subsequently banded together with a strong bond, another family adopted a little girl after the death of their son and we had a parish that was on fire. So when the direction of our country looks bleak to me, I remember that God can ultimately use it towards his own beautiful plan. Thank you Lord and have mercy on us!