There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Friday, December 11, 2020

Third Sunday of Advent Will You Follow?


You can find this message on my YouTube channel, here:  https://youtu.be/Hq1qIl6YL4o

------------

 Will you follow Me?

 

Today is the third Sunday of Advent – the season during which many Christians focus a bit more closely on the time God sent His only begotten Son into our world to rescue us from the grip of Satan, sin, and death.

 

I hope to make two points in today’s message. And while at first blush each point might seem an odd for this season, I hope at the end of the message you will see the connection between this season and this message.

 

A while ago I downloaded an album by Christ for the Nations. One song in particular caught my attention during my quiet time with the Lord. It’s titled, ‘When I’m With You.’  Here are some of the lyrics:

 

I was made for loving you/I was made to worship/I was made to give you praise all of my days/O lord, my all is for you/My all is for you

 

As I listened to the words, I wondered, “Why would God create us to love and worship Him?”

 

Some might answer that He did so because He is the supreme narcissist. You might remember the story of the mythological character, Narcissus. The young man was so in love with himself that when he saw his image in a pond, he wouldn’t leave it even to eat. Eventually, he starved to death.

 

Is God narcissistic? Is He so in love with Himself that He had to create a whole planet of creatures to fawn over Him?

 

Of course not. Over and over Scripture tells us God is love, not self-love, but REAL love, the kind of love that is other-centered. However, that kind of love carries great risk. The Lover permits the beloved the freedom to embrace that love – or reject it.  And some of you listening to me understand very well the heartache of rejected love.

 

In one of the saddest verses in Scripture, God tells us how His beloved Israel broke His heart by their adulterous wandering: Then those of you who escape will remember Me . . . how I have been hurt by their adulterous hearts which turned away from Me, and by their eyes which played the harlot after their idols.” (Ezekiel 6:9)

 

Yes, God’s other-centered love risked deep hurt. But it also enables deep joy when the beloved embraces His love.

 

So, since God did not create us to satisfy His self-centered vanity, why DID He create us? Some think God ‘needed’ to create us to keep Him company.

 

That’s nonsense. Scripture tells us that God is three Persons in one God. Not three gods, but one God who is known as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The great I AM of Exodus 3:14 could never be lonely within His own eternally unified and intimate Trinity. If He had never created us, He would never be ‘lonely.’ 

 

So, no. A thousand times, no. God did not create you and me to fill some void in His life, but to include us in His eternally perfect waltz of love.

 

The Hebrew prophet Isaiah speaks of God’s love-driven ‘creating’ in this way: As the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so your God will rejoice over you.” (62:5). Zephaniah says it this way: “The Lord your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior. He will exult over you with joy, He will be quiet in His love, He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy.(3:17). 

 

Think a moment of the imagery in that Zephaniah passage. God delights in you and me so much that He rejoices over us with singing! Imagine our God singing love songs over us!

 

And then of course in John 3:16 – “For God so loved the world that He gave . . . .”

So, why did God create us? I suppose there are several reasons we could examine, but they all could be synthesized into one:

God created us simply because it pleased Him to create us. As the angels and hosts of heaven forever proclaim: “Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.” (Revelation 4:11, AKJV)

 

At a human level, parents understand that pleasure when they want to have children. They don’t ‘create’ (so to speak) children so their children will worship them. They ‘create’ children because their joined love desires to share their love with offspring.

 

On an incomprehensibly greater scale, it pleased God to create us so He could share His love with those He created. And like human parents hope for a loving relationship with their children in later years, God creates us to have a personal and loving RELATIONSHIP with Him throughout our lives.

 

So, at its most fundamental level, THAT is why God created you and me. He is in LOVE with you and me. And His enduring desire is that you and I, of our own free will, choose to love Him in response.

 

Which brings me to my second point which is intimately related to the first about why God created us. When God is the lover, how far will we as the beloved trust the lover?

 

A knee-jerk response might be something like, “To the moon and back.” But I had a few disquieting thoughts one morning during my quiet time with the Lord. Let me tell you why.

 

During the last several days we’ve been praying for a friend of ours. He’s in an ICU bed, on a ventilator, at times more dead than alive. We’ve known him and his family for decades. He is as faithful a Christian as any we’ve known. Yet there he lies between death and life, a victim of the global COVID pandemic.

 

As I repeatedly pleaded with the Lord for his life, I reminded God of His promise to His people, Israel: "If you will give earnest heed to the voice of the Lord your God, and do what is right in His sight, and give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have put on the Egyptians; for I, the Lord, am your healer." (Exodus 15:26)

 

Then I reminded Him of His promise in Psalm 91: He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty . . . .” For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence . . . . You will not be afraid of the terror by night, or of the arrow that flies by day; Of the pestilence that stalks in darkness, or of the destruction that lays waste at noon. A thousand may fall at your side and ten thousand at your right hand, But it shall not approach you . . .  No evil will befall you, nor will any plague come near your tent.

 

“Lord,” I said, “I don’t understand You. You promised to protect your people from plagues such as this global pandemic. But there is Your servant hovering near death from this plague. Why, Lord? I do not understand.”

 

Then this thought dropped into my mind. “You don’t have to understand; Follow Me.”

 

Immediately afterward a dozen Bible passages percolated in my mind, such as Isaiah 55: For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.”

 

And this from Proverbs 3: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding.” And this one, after St. Paul begged the Lord to take away the ‘thorn’ that hounded him. God told him, “My grace is sufficient for you.” (2 Corinthians 12)

 

Then I remembered the Lord’s comment to Peter after He told the disciple of his eventual martyrdom for Christ: Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were younger, you used to gird yourself and walk wherever you wished; but when you grow old, you will stretch out your hands and someone else will gird you, and bring you where you do not wish to go.” 19 Now this He said, signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He *said to him, “Follow Me!” (John 21:18-19)

 

Two verses later, Peter pointed at John and asked the Lord: What about this man?” I get the idea Peter was asking Jesus, “If I am to die a martyr’s death, what about John?”  But notice again Jesus’ response: “If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!”

 

Always, the Lord says: “Follow Me.” Always He says, “Follow Me.”

 

Job didn’t understand, but he followed. The psalmists didn’t understand, but they followed. Paul didn’t understand, but he followed. Peter didn’t understand, but he followed.

 

We were made to follow Jesus. Even if it doesn’t make sense. Even if we don’t like what is happening in our life.

 

During the Crimean War, a miscommunication sent the British light cavalry into a suicidal frontal assault against a well-prepared and fortified Russian position. Surely every soldier questioned the order. Surely every man thought it an insane order. But on they rode, sabers high – into a crushing barrage of deadly fire. The assault ended with terribly high British casualties and no decisive gains. A few weeks after the carnage, Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote the well-known poem, The Charge of the Light Brigade.

 

Half a league, half a league, Half a league onward/All in the valley of Death

rode the six hundred/“Forward, the Light Brigade!/Charge for the guns!” he said/Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred . . . Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die/Into the valley of Death rode the six hundred.

 

Cannon to right of them, Cannon to left of them, Cannon in front of them/volleyed and thundered/Stormed at with shot and shell/Boldly they rode and well/Into the jaws of Death/Into the mouth of hell rode the six hundred. . . . While horse and hero fell/they that had fought so well/Came through the jaws of Death/Back from the mouth of hell/All that was left of them/Left of six hundred.

 

When can their glory fade?/O the wild charge they made!/All the world wondered/Honor the charge they made!/Honor the Light Brigade/Noble six hundred!

 

When the Lord Jesus knelt in the Garden of Gethsemane, He asked three times of the Father – Please take this cup from me. The Father’s answer is not recorded in Scripture, but we can safely assume He said to Jesus essentially what Jesus Himself says to His followers – follow Me, even if it be into the Valley of Death.

 

Yes, I know Christians get sick and die. They get cancer, and heart disease. They die in accidents and from murder. We are subject to the same slings and arrows of this sin-sick world as is everyone else.

 

So, do I understand why my friend is so sick with the plague, despite what I consider God’s promises through Moses and the Psalmist? No, of course I don’t understand. But in and through it all, Jesus’ words now confront me with two particularly hard questions: Will you follow Me – even if following Me doesn’t make sense? And will you follow Me even if I take you into the Valley of Death?

 

The Light Brigade stormed against hell’s fire because they were honorable men, noble men who were all under orders. It didn’t matter if they agreed with the order. It didn’t matter if the order made any sense at all. They just did as they were commanded.

 

And Christian, don’t think for a moment our Great Commander Jesus doesn’t ask you the same questions: “Will you follow Me if nothing makes sense? If you don’t understand, if you don’t like it, will you still follow Me, even into the Valley of Death?”

 

And so, on this the third Sunday of the Advent season, as our minds wander to the manger and the straw and the shepherds guarding their flock by night, as we follow those thoughts then to His miracles and His teachings and His crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension, please Holy Spirit, prepare us today and every day, to follow Christ honorably, and nobly, wherever He leads.

 

Please Holy Spirit, prepare us each day so when life kicks us to the ground, we do not turn from you in rage or bitterness or in quiet despair. Prepare us each day to lean on You, to trust You, and not our own feeble and fallible understanding.

 

Amen

 

No comments: