There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Search and Rescue - Psalm 139 part one




My full and unedited message is posted on YouTube at this link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX_NXYx-F6A



At the outset of my message today I want to make a very important point. If you take nothing else away from what I say today, I hope every child of God, every son and daughter of God who were born again through obedient faith in Jesus the Messiah, I hope you will hear this point:



You are not alone. God is with you at this very moment. Wherever you are – at home, or away from home. Sick in bed or up and around healthy. Struggling after losing someone you deeply loved or comforted in their arms at night.



Listen, child of God, He is with you. For some of us that phrase is so familiar, we’ve heard it so many times, it has for us become almost trite. Like a throw-away phrase people say when they don’t know what else to say.



But this is not a trite throw-away phrase. It is Almighty God who says it to you through His holy and inerrant and infallible Scriptures.



Which leads me to my text for today:



O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, and are intimately acquainted with all my ways. Even before there is a word on my tongue, behold, O Lord, You know it all. You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it. Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? (Psalm 139:1-7, NASB)



God knows all about us. Not only has He accurate count of the hairs on our head, but He knows everything we think, everything we do, and every motive behind it all. So, at the beginning of what I want to say to you today: Child of God, born again into His kingdom by your faith in Jesus Christ, do not fear. Do not worry. Do not doubt this. He is there with you. At this moment. Embracing you. Even if you cannot see Him, feel Him, touch Him – we walk by faith and not by sight – or by feeling.



So that’s point number one: God is with you. Always. He never leaves you. Whether you sense Him or not is NOT the issue. We live by faith in His unfailing promises made to us through His inerrant word, we call the Bible.



Let’s now return a moment to the psalm and to the second point of this message: O Lord, You have searched me and known me. You know when I sit down and when I rise up.



As I said a moment ago, God the Holy Spirit searches us, our hearts, our souls, our very being itself. Nothing is hidden from Him, not even the smallest wisp of a word in our mind. He knows the length and breadth and depth and height of our anger, and pride, and lusts, and envy – and yes, also, our loneliness, our sadness, our doubts, our fears, our confusions.



Think for a moment, in the quietness of your own thoughts, how absolutely naked and vulnerable your soul always stands before your Creator – and then think further of this incredible truth:



Despite who you are in the depths of your heart, despite what you have done and continue to do, and what you haven’t done and still refuse to do – God LOVES you. Please hear this. You must believe that if you can ever hope to know the peace of God in your life.



God the Holy Spirit tells us through the apostle Paul’s pen: “God demonstrates His love toward us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” (Romans 5:8)



Listen, if He didn’t love you, He would not have sent His beloved Son to die in your place, to take the punishment your sins and my sins so justly deserve from a Holy, Holy God.



God sent Jesus to be our substitutionary sacrifice so that you and I – and anyone else who wants His forgiveness – we can enter into eternal communion with Almighty God. In a sense, Jesus still hangs on that cross – looking at you with tear-filled eyes, waiting for you to repent of your sins and fall in confession and subsequent obedience at His feet.



When David realized the Lord knows him inside and out, from the number of hairs on his head to the sickness of his soul, he wrote what anyone might expect him to write: Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.” In other words, how can the finite hope to grasp the infinite? It would be less logical than an amoeba trying to fathom the mind of an Albert Einstein.



So, given this utter impossibility to understand God and His love, His holiness, His mercy, His grace, and His judgment and justice, we are faced with only two choices: We can either accept what He says about Himself and about us as entirely true – and strive to live according to His commandments. Or, we can bring God down to our level. We can recreate Him in our own concept of what we want God to be like.



That, of course, would be an eternally deadly choice.



Let’s go back again to the psalm and to my third and final point of today’s message: O Lord, You have searched me and known me.”



Although this psalm doesn’t say it specifically, we know from the length and breadth of Scripture that God not only searches us, but that He also actively searches FOR us.  



Why is He searching for us? Because He knows we are lost – lost in the sin of Adam and lost in our own sins we so easily commit.



And because sin is so much a part of the warp and woof of our nature, most of us don’t even know we’re lost. That’s why God searches for us – and He has been doing that from the moment of our conception.



You may remember the parables Jesus told of the lost sheep, the lost coin, and the lost son. One sheep out of his hundred sheep wandered away from the fold. Lost. Cold. Frightened. And what did the shepherd do? He left the 99 safely in the corral and went out in search for the one lost lamb.



Then He told of the lost coin. Of course, the coin didn’t know it was lost, but the woman who lost is was frantic to find it. She turned her house upside down and swept it from front to back until she recovered it. 



Then Jesus told the story of lost young man. He was tired of living down on the farm. He was probably frustrated with his father’s seemingly endless rules and chores. I imagine he was angry that he was unable to come and go as he pleased. So, at the end of his patience, he asked his father for his share of his inheritance and took off on his own. The lure of city lights, and the proverbial wine, women, and song enticed him. And for a time, he drifted from one wave of excitement to another.



Then disaster struck. A famine. Economic collapse. With his money gone, he was suddenly homeless and hungry. That might be similar to the story of some of you watching this message. But Jesus then tells us, “when the young man came to his senses” he decided to return to his father.



What was the father doing at the time? Here is how the Lord tells it in verses 20-24: But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. And . . . the father said to his slaves, ‘Quickly bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet; and bring the fattened calf, kill it, and let us eat and celebrate; for this son of mine was dead and has come to life again; he was lost and has been found.’ (Luke 15:20-24)

Let me say it again for emphasis: Not only does God search us, but God also searches for us as a loving shepherd. You probably know what David wrote in his 23rd psalm: “The Lord is my shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul.



Listen. It is the shepherd’s JOY to search for and find His lost sheep. And Jesus, of course, tells us HE is the good shepherd:



“I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. (John 10)


Some of you might be tempted to think the Good Shepherd is no longer interested in searching for you. You might think your sins are so grievous and you have lived so long in your sin that He has given you up for lost.



Please don’t believe everything you think! Instead, choose to believe what GOD says about you – that He loves you so much He left His very throne in glory to search high and low, broad and wide just to find you and carry you on His shoulders safely back to the fold. Remember that text I quoted earlier from Paul’s letter to the Christians at Rome: “God demonstrates His own love toward us in that while we were yet sinner, Christ died for us.”


Whoever you are, whatever you’ve done, and no matter how often you’ve done it – the Good Shepherd is searching for you. And if you’ve listened this far, it’s because something inside of you is stirring you to believe that.



The stirring you feel is the Holy Spirit’s gentle voice. And you can believe Him when He says to you: “I’ve found you. Let’s go home.”


Please. Be confident today – and all your tomorrows – be confident in that unalterable, unchangeable promise of God. God never leaves you. God is actively searching you – and God is actively searching FOR you.



The psalmist next writes: “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?”



Of course, he asks here a rhetorical question – one to which he already knows the answer. There is no place on earth, under the earth, or anywhere in the universe where we can flee from God. That’s what Jonah thought he could do, and we know how that turned out.



But though David knows the answer to what he just asked, it does raise a question we can ask of ourselves, because people many of us know seem to always be trying to flee from God’s presence.  Why would anyone do that?



We look at that question next week.


No comments: