There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, June 29, 2019

Homage to my Father in Heaven


I posted this a few years ago. I thought to post it again. I hope it helps someone.
-------------

"Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! [the Aramaic word for Daddy] Father!" (Galatians 4:6)


"Sing to God, sing praises to His name; Lift up a song for Him . . . whose name is the LORD, and exult before Him. A father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows is God in His holy habitation. God makes a home for the lonely . . . . " (Psalm 68:4-6)


I call Him Lord so often I sometimes forget He’s my heavenly Daddy. I’m sorry when that happens. ‘Lord’ conjures for me a more distant relationship than the intimate bond ‘Daddy’ invokes.



In prayer several years ago, that intimacy stirred thoughts once again of my earthly father. Those who’ve followed my blogs for a while know Albert left me and my sister in 1954. I was four, Andrea was not yet two. He wouldn’t keep out of other women’s beds, so Mom finally told him to pack his valise.



Andrea and I rarely saw him afterward. Three, maybe four times over the next decade and a half. Then, in 1968, when I was eighteen, I asked Mom to set a meeting with him at my paternal grandparents’ apartment. I wanted to know his side of the story. I wanted to know why he left me and Andrea.



My mind’s eye still sees him as he sat in the wing-backed chair in front of the living room window. I sat cross-legged on the carpet a few feet from him. Andrea and Mom sat on the sofa to my left, my grandmother on the flowered upholstered chair to the right of the couch. My grandfather softly drummed his fingers on the dining room table to my right.



“Why did you leave?”



Albert hardly hesitated. He looked me in the eyes and said,



“Because I wanted to.”



That was 50 years ago. 

Fifty.



His words remain as chilling as if he spoke them last month.



I don’t know why that memory resurfaced while I was in prayer a few years ago. I'd forgiven Albert in my early years as a Christian for what he’d done to me. But that morning the Lord interrupted my prayer time and asked if I would again forgive Albert. His question caught me by surprise, and I wasn’t quite sure how to respond. Would I again forgive Al for casting me aside like a piece of trash? More to the point, 'could' I forgive him?



“I’d like to,” I finally answered.



What happened next still warms me to think of it. The memory of Albert saying what he did remained – and yet remains to this day in 2019 – chiseled in my mind, but the memory then took a sudden and extraordinary turn.



I was no longer sitting on the carpet. Instead, my heavenly Daddy was sitting on the carpet and I was sitting in His lap. His arms encircled me and I snuggled deep into His embrace. His warmth surrounded me. I could hear His heart beat, feel His breath on my hair. A great sense of quiet washed over me. I knew I was at home, at home in His arms.



Home. Oh, the security, serenity, the love and hope that word arouses within me.



Albert’s words, “Because I wanted to” no longer stung as they had in 1968 because now, as I sat in quiet prayer, I could snuggle deeper into Daddy’s embrace.



Albert’s cruelty dissipated like a mist burned away by the sun as my Daddy held me yet closer – because He understood how those words ripped a hole in me. I remember even now as I write this how – as this scene unfolded in my memory – I broke into a grin, looked him in the eyes and said without hesitation: “I forgive you.”



Why shouldn’t I forgive the man? How could I not forgive the man? I was sitting in my real Daddy’s lap. Albert was never my father. He only impregnated my mother. He was no more my father than if he had raped her and she conceived. But my Daddy in heaven – oh, my Daddy has never left me, no matter how many reasons I gave Him in my life to do so. And even when I didn’t know it He was there, all the time, His arm around my shoulder, whispering encouragement to a young boy, who became a teenager, and then became a young man who would one day become the man at 69 who joyfully lifts his hands in worship of his Daddy in heaven.



Sitting in my heavenly Father’s arms, how could Albert’s cavalier rejection hurt me? I could feel only pity for the man who missed a lifetime of opportunities to be my earthly daddy.



Oh, I am so in love with my Daddy who art in heaven.


No comments: