There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

7 out of 10 Faith

To hear some people say it, God doesn't intervene for us unless we have sufficient faith. Not just faith, but sufficient faith. Like 7 out of 10. Or maybe a 6.5. Anything less than that and, well, "come back when you trust Me more."

But St. Mark tells this story: Then [Jesus] questioned his father, "How long has this been happening to him?" He replied, "Since childhood. It has often thrown him into fire and into water to kill him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." Jesus said to him, " 'If you can!' Everything is possible to one who has faith." Then the boy's father cried out, "I do believe, help my unbelief!" (chapter 9)

I think the father's faith was hovering around 3. Maybe less. But he responded to the Lord the way I believe the Lord would like us all to respond . . . "Help my unbelief."

St. John tells us, "God is love." Love does not require 10 out of 10 faith from us. Not even 8 out of 10. Instead, Love stoops to our level, wherever we are . . . even if it's at 1.

And He brings with Him the answer to our needs according to His grace and purpose for us -- and for His kingdom.

No comments: