There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

CINOs

When I settled into the dentist’s chair, I placed the book I’d been reading on one of the counters. After the preliminary questions about my tooth, the technician asked what I was reading.

I showed him the cover. “It’s a book by Michael. . ..” Before I finished my sentence, he said, “Oh, Michael Youssef. Great pastor. I know of his church – Church of the Apostles, in Atlanta.” (As an aside, I know from reading Youssef’s books and listening to his sermons that he is a Bible-loving, Bible-believing, man of God).

Anyway, as we waited for the dentist, the tech and I got to talking about Jesus. I asked him how long he’d loved the Lord. I never ask anyone how long they’ve been a Christian. I’ve learned over the years too many people don’t really understand what it means to be a Christian. But this young man did.

He told me he became a Christian when he was 16, but it wasn’t until he was 27 that he made Jesus the Lord of his life.

Those were his words – “I made Jesus the lord of my life.”

I’ve found – and perhaps you have as well – that many churched folk think that all they have to do to be a Christian is be baptized, or say a prayer, or go down to an altar. But it is often the case that Jesus never becomes their Lord. And there is an eternal chasm of difference between the two. One is a CINO – a Christian in Name Only. The other is truly a child of God. The one is in danger of hearing the Lord tell them at the Judgment: “Depart from Me, I never knew you” (Matthew 7:23). The other will hear Him say, “Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord.” (Matthew 25:21)

For good reason the Holy Spirit inspired St. Peter to write:

“[A]pplying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble.” 2 Peter 1:5-10

Oh, Holy Spirit! Please help us to make very certain about Your calling and choosing us. And please, please – ever press us each day to practice the lifestyle that pleases You. We do not want to be a CINO. We want Jesus to be the Lord of our life and our lifestyle.

No comments: