There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Love Letters

 

Anyone who’s been in the military and deployed – sent to sea or to foreign soil – knows what it is like to be away from home. They know what it’s like to be lonely. They know what it’s like to long for some connection with home.

I remember being deployed while on active duty. And I still remember how comforting it was to receive letters from home. I’d read them again and again during my months away. It’s now years later, and I still have some of them.

I got to thinking about letters from home the other night as I read my Bible. Although no longer in the military, I am yet on a different kind of deployment now – and it you are a Christian, you are, too.

Our ‘Commander’ – also known as our Father in Heaven – has sent us into this world as warriors for Christ. That’s why the Holy Spirit inspired the writers of Scripture to refer to our spiritual warfare. You can find some examples in the sixth chapter of Ephesians and the 10th chapter of 2 Corinthians.

Of course, we do not fight these battles with bullets, swords, or bombs. We fight our battles with God's word in our heart and on our lips. We fight with prayer and with holy lifestyles. We fight with weapons of faithfulness and truth and righteousness.

And do not overlook the letters. Any of them. While we are in this world, we are absent from our real home. That’s why our Father sent us His letters. Love letters, I call them. They’re letters of encouragement, of affection, of exhortation, of guidance, of instruction. We find them all between the covers of our Bible. 

As I said, when I was deployed, I read and reread and reread again my letters from home. And so, it is also true for me that while I am deployed to this world, I find myself reading and rereading again and again His love letters to me.

Please! If you’re not reading and rereading again and again your Father’s love letters to you – you’re missing something very special and helpful and comforting for your many battles.

You can find scores of annual Bible reading plans on the internet. Or you can try my plan: https://inhimonly.blogspot.com/2016/09/bible-reading-plan-revised-sept-2016.html.

Whichever you choose, please, choose something and follow through with the plan. You NEED those love letters for this life’s journey.

No comments: