There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, March 3, 2022

A Word about Lent

 

For those of you unfamiliar with the season of Lent, this is the time in the church calendar of many Christian denominations which starts on Ash Wednesday (yesterday) and continues until Resurrection Sunday (also known as Easter Sunday).

During Lent, Christians focus more purposely on prayer, repentance, and confession of sins to God. It is not as if Lent is the ONLY time we focus on those things. Just as we remember the birth of Jesus throughout the year, and not only on December 25, and just as we remember the Lord's resurrection throughout the year, and not only on Resurrection Sunday -- so, too, we remember repentance and confession throughout the year, but focus a bit more specifically during Lent.

Last year during Lent I decided to do something new to help my walk with the Lord. I called it my "15 + 5" time.

Every day I spent 15 minutes reading something of a spiritual nature besides the Bible, such as a Bible commentary or something about Christ, or prayer, or the Bible, etc. Then I also spent 5 minutes committing a verse of Scripture to memory. (Thus, 15+5)

I successfully did that every day during Lent -- and even for several weeks afterward. But then I slowly slacked off. I'd miss a day. Then two. Then a week. You get the picture.

So, this year I determined to restart my 15 + 5 program. I will wait and see how long after Lent I can sustain the plan.

What are YOU doing for Lent to draw you closer to the Lord?

No comments: