There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, June 8, 2020

Peace in Distress


I listened this morning to this portion of Handel’s Messiah:

“He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: He shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young. . . . Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (from Isaiah 40:11 and Matthew 11:28-29)

The words came to me in the middle of my unrest over what is happening all around me. Fear. And hatred. Unquenchable, murderous hatred. And demonic laced lies about it all from the tongues of those in politics, the media, the churches, the educational institutions, from our neighbors, and even in families.  

It is in that context that I sat in my regular chair to spend time with Jesus and listened to those comforting words of Scripture.

And they reminded me, Jesus is not dead. He is alive, radiant, powerful, majestic, omnipotent. And by His Holy Spirit is with me. And He is with you who love Him.

Right now. Wherever it is that you are reading this, if you love Him, He is with you. And like a gentle shepherd, He will feed you. And me.

He will feed us and nourish us from His holy Scriptures. He will provide us water to satisfy our thirst, milk and meat to satisfy our hunger. Calm and confidence to soothe our unrest.

He gathers us – all of us who belong to Him – and He carries us close to His chest. He embraces us and – as we carefully listen and obey – He leads us through this cold, bitter, and very dangerous world.

But we must come to Him like needy sheep if we want calm for our roiling souls. We must come every day. Several times a day, as often as we need to come. We must take His yoke – it is an easy one, but a yoke, nonetheless. And we must take His burden – it is an easy one, but a burden, nonetheless. There is no other way in this angry, agitated, and mean-spirited world to find rest.

St. Augustine said it well: God has made us for Himself, and our hearts are restless until they find their rest in Him.

No comments: