There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, March 4, 2019

What Do You Know - part two

(This is part two of the message I preached on Sunday, March 3 at the independent living facility. You can find part one here: http://tinyurl.com/yxgedwnf )

 I learned a few things about myself and about our God during those nightmarish four weeks after Nancy’s stroke. And the lessons are not yet over. In part one I talked about God’s unfathomable mercy. Here now is the second thing I learned in those early weeks.

---------------------
Tears dripped down my cheeks as I drove north on the I-95 at 65 MPH toward my friend’s home. I’d just left Nancy at the Rehabilitation hospital for the evening.

“Lord,” I sobbed. “Please help my unbelief.”  I wanted so much to trust God to bring Nancy to complete recovery and to get us HOME where we could again be surrounded by familiar things in our house and surrounded by friends whom we missed so terribly.

Suddenly God broke into my thoughts. I will never forget the two questions He asked me. The first was this: “Richard, what do you know about Me?”

His question was so abrupt, it stopped my tears. I thought about the question for a few moments and then responded:

Lord, I know you cause all things, even nightmarish things, to work together for good. Romans 8:28 came to my mind:  And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

I know You will never let me be tested above what I am able to bear. (Many of you will recognize that truth from 1 Corinthians 10:13).

Lord, I know Jesus is Lord of heaven and earth. Philippians 2:10-11 came to my mind: [At] the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

I then said to Him, “I know you never leave me, never forsake me, that you are always with me, even in my nightmares.” Once again scripture came to mind, such as Isaiah 43:2-3 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you. For I am the Lord your God, The Holy One of Israel, your Savior;


I was about to continue my litany of the things I know about God when He interrupted me with the follow-on question: “Why do you know those things are true?”

I didn’t have to think about my response. I answered, “Because the Bible tells me so.”

Then the Holy Spirit connected the dots for me. All of my questions and my doubts and fears and uncertainties, they all find their answers in what I know to be true because God said those things are true.

Don’t misunderstand me, please. I do not mean to suggest God always heals or reunites or fixes everything that is broken. He clearly does not.

As the Lord Jesus reminds us (Luke 4): “There were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.”

And oh, by the way, if you remember this text from Luke’s gospel, Jesus spoke these words in His hometown of Nazareth. Here is what happened next:

“And all the people in the synagogue were filled with rage as they heard these things; and they got up and drove Him out of the city and led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city had been built, in order to throw Him down the cliff.

Oh, God help us to not get so angry or disappointed with Jesus that we throw our faith over a cliff. I confess, that thought crossed my mind – if only for a moment. But it DID cross my mind.

And even now as I write this I remember thinking in response to that temptation: “But Lord, where would I go?  You have the words of eternal life.”

Why God heals some and not others, why He fixes some things and not others – no one knows. But healed or not, fixed or not, reunited or not – God’s word is truth, whether or not we believe it to be truth and whether or not is seems to be truth.

God’s word remains and always will be truth.

So, what can all this that I learned mean for you reading this?

Right now, whatever your circumstances, what do YOU know to be true?  And just as important, Why do you know it to be true? 

If what you know is not based on God’s eternal truth, if what you know is not rooted and nurtured in God’s eternal truth, then your life is in grave danger of collapsing around you when the life’s storms ravage through your life like a never-ending tornado.

I made two points in my message to the men and women at the independent living facility. It’s the same points I hope to be making in this two-part essay.

God unveiled to me once again – and this time more deeply than I’d ever known it – He is so much more merciful to us than we can ever hope to comprehend this side of eternity.  When we are faithless, He remains faithful to His covenantal promise to us, He remains faithful to His unconditional promise to us. When we deserve nothing less than judgment. He instead wraps His arms around us and draws us close to His chest.

And God reminded me His Word is as true and faithful today as it was when writers of Scripture first penned His words on parchment. May He therefore help us all to make it an ever increasingly sturdy foundation for life.

And so thanks be to God alone for His mercy and for His unfailing promises of love, hope, encouragement, chastisement – all of which have their yes and amen in Jesus Christ our Lord.

Amen.


No comments: