There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Now Would Be a Good Time



All this has come upon us, but we have not forgotten You, and we have not dealt falsely with Your covenant. Our heart has not turned back, and our steps have not deviated from Your way . . . (Psalm 44:17-18).

First, the backstory. Saul, Israel’s first king, was murderously jealous of David. The former shepherd's courage and fighting prowess against Goliath made him the favored among Saul’s staff of warriors – and more importantly – among the people.

“Saul has slain his thousands, but David, his ten thousands,” they cheered.

When David realized his life wouldn’t be worth the dirt at the bottom of his shepherd’s staff if he stayed around the king, he took off for the proverbial hills. But he needed provisions, and he needed a weapon. So he visited Ahimelech, the priest.

David lied to Ahimelech to get what he needed and then left – but not before one of Saul’s servants saw what had happened.

When Saul learned what Ahimelech had done for David, he brought the priest and all his family to his encampment. Saul charged him with treason and had him and all his family killed on the spot.

Only Abiathar, Ahimelech’s son, escaped.

Here is where we pick up the story:

“Abiathar told David that Saul had killed the priests of the Lord. Then David said to Abiathar . . . . I have brought about the death of every person in your father’s household. (1 Samuel 22:21-22)

Meanwhile, Saul and his army pursued David with a blood-lust. But though “Saul sought him every day . . . God did not deliver him into his hand. (1 Samuel 23:14)

And here is the point I see in this story:
Abiathar watched his entire family -- his father, mother, brothers, sisters, cousins – his entire family hacked to bloody pieces. As I read through the story I paused and then wondered aloud how I would have felt if I had witnessed the blood bath of my family. Would I have turned my face to God and screamed, “Oh Lord! Why?! 

And could I have remained a priest, serving and leading worship, knowing God had not protected my family, yet He continued to protect David and his from Saul’s slaughter?

I like to think I would be as Abiathar who continued to faithfully serve his God. But it is easy to think that in the safety and comfort of my air conditioned home, sitting in my upholstered chair on top of a carpeted floor.

If you’ve not yet noticed, wait a while and you will. Life is full of tragedy. It often brims with deep sorrow, grievous loss, of devastating disappointments. At those times, perhaps more than at any other time, we want to scream at God, “Oh, Lord! Why?!”

It is okay to scream.

But what we need most in those times is not so much an answer, but God’s supernatural touch, His supernatural grace . . . .

To continue like Abiathar.

Today would be a good time to start asking God to so prepare us.

No comments: