There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

Let Me Count the Ways

If you have read my Prayer Strategies blog (www.prayerstrategies.blogspot.com) you know I use a number of prayer ‘tools’ during my time with the Lord. One of those strategies is the use of ‘canned’ prayers, which I often modify to better fit my need to draw close to God.

This morning Elizabeth Barrett Browning’s poem dropped into my thoughts. I modified it for myself (I hope she wouldn’t mind ;-).  I also hope you will find it useful for your own time of prayer.

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I want to love thee to the depth and breadth and height
my soul can reach, even when I feel I’m out of your sight.
I want to love thee to the end of my being and
above the level of every day’s most quiet need,
by sun and candle-light.
I want to love thee freely. I want to love thee purely.
I want to love thee with a passion useful for Thy kingdom,
even in my griefs, and with child-like faith.
I want to love thee with the breath, smiles, tears, of all my life; and, if you choose, I want to love thee even better after death.

No comments: