There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Wondering at Unbelief - Part Two



My post the other day was not the first time I'd thought about the enormity of God's power related to the problems we face. I wrote something similar (below) in August of 2010. Nearly two years ago. And even then, when I wrote "My First Thought," the message was not new to me. I'd thought of it for decades.


I'm a very slow learner. But maybe I'm beginning to internalize that truth.


In a few days I will post one more essay that's been floating in my mind related to this theme. But My First Thought is a good segue into that next one.


-------------------------------
My First Thought


Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, and marked off the heavens by the span, and calculated the dust of the earth? . . . Behold, the nations are like a drop from a bucket, and are regarded as a speck of dust on the scales; . . . All the nations are as nothing before Him, they are regarded by Him as less than nothing and meaningless . . . [He] Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain and spreads them out like a tent to dwell in. He it is who reduces rulers to nothing . . . He merely blows on them, and they wither, and the storm carries them away like stubble (Isaiah 40:12-24).


When I finally leave this body
and stand in the presence
of my Father's glory,

When He reaches from His throne
and draws me to His lap,
when I then understand
what I could not understand
in life:

the enormity
of His incomprehensible power,

the limitlessness
of His reign
over every fiber
of eternity,

that no creature
in heaven
or on earth
can open
what he shuts
or close
what He opens,

that the totality of creation
throughout countless galaxies
bow at His presence;

I think my first thought
when I realize where I am
and in Whose arms I rest,

my first thought
will not be
shrouded in sorrow
for my many sins,

for things I did
or did not do
in life.

I think I will be most sorry
that I didn’t trust Him more,
when I had so many chances

to do so.

No comments: