There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Wondering at Unbelief -- my conclusion


The Lord is in His holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before Him. (Habakkuk 2:20)

A few days ago I wrote about what Almighty God has been trying to teach me. That lesson, reduced to its essential core is this: God is in control of every molecule, every atom, throughout the galaxies. What are nations, presidents, dictators and kings that He is even mindful of them?

But even knowing this, I have focused in the past only on the troubles before me. Problems in the nation. Problems in the Church. Problems in the family. Problems with health. Problems. Problems.

I do not minimize those troubles. I do not make believe they do not exist. No, the varied issues are real. They strike destruction at the very heart of our homes, our Church, our nation.

But I am growing increasingly convinced that this generation – yes even today’s Church – has yet to see what God will do if His people humble themselves, and pray, and seek his face, and turn from their wicked ways. If they do what He commands, then the Almighty will hear from heaven, will forgive their sins, and will heal their land. 1  

However, we may be living in a time not unlike many other times in past eras wherein His people grew self-satisfied, lazy, and too careless about their sin to concern themselves about personal holiness, about living for Christ, about repentance and obedience, about seeking Him while He may be found.

And if that is the time in which we now live, then the problems we face in our nation and in our Church are only just beginning. Terrible times, desperate times, bloody times yet await us.

But terrible times change nothing about the absolute and unalterable authority of the Almighty. It changes nothing about the truth of Scripture, the power of faith, and the reward of those who turn from godless philosophies, rebellious lifestyles and damnable lies to humbly seek to please the Creator.

Problems, even as they multiply, now urge me to fix my mind on the declarations and encouragements of those who lived in times such as these. Here are a few:

[Jesus said], Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. You believe in God, believe also in Me. 2

All this has come upon us but we have not forgotten you. Our heart has not turned back and our steps have not deviated from your ways. 3

Though He slay me, yet I will trust in Him.4

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. 5

Though the fig tree should not blossom, and there be no fruit on the vines, though the yield of the olive should fail and the fields produce no food, though the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no cattle in the stalls, yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation.6

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren; and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who is against us?7

Problems will remain with me until the day I close my eyes in death. But until that day I choose to rest in the assurance that the Almighty intimately knows those who take refuge in Him. He is friend, lover, protector and Father to those whose soul is covered with the blood of Jesus.

Sure there are problems. Serious ones. Sometimes unchangeable ones. But God is still on His throne, and I am in His lap. And if you are covered with Christ’s blood, if your heart turns with increasing frequency to Him in repentance and obedience, then you are in His lap, too.

Trust Him. He will not fail us.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

1) 2 Chronicles 7:14
2) John 14:1
3) Psalm 44:17-18
4) Job 13:15
5) Joshua 24:15
6) Habakkuk 3:17-18
7) Romans 8:28-31

11 comments:

newday said...

You are so right. We all will have some kinds of problems, be they big or small. The key is how we "handle" those problems. Do we turn to the almighty or not? As you said, God is in control, not us.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks for the comment, Newday. Have a blessed Sunday.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks for the comment, Newday. Have a blessed Sunday.

yourseniorness said...

THERE ARE A LOT OF COMMON SENSE IDEAS, LIKE IN THIS POST THAT NEED TO BE REVIEWED. LEARNING FROM OLD IDEAS IS MAKING MORE SENSE NOW THAT IN THE PAST FIFTY YEARS OF 'PRACTICAL ATHEISM'.
WHILE YOU CAN'T PROVE THE PRAYER THING; IT IS THE WAY TO BET.
THIS IS SHOUTING STUFF [BUT NOT TOO LOOUD. YET

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks, Seniorness. But I think it is time to shout. Loud. ;)

Unknown said...

Enjoyed your reflection. Yes, let us not allow our hearts to be troubled.
Don

Unknown said...

We are sensual beings -- trapped in our desire for warmth, food, love of another human, etc. Even the saints among us have trouble with the declarations of Christ, especially when it comes the "spiritual" idea of throwing everything away and following Him. I suspect the best we can do (or those of us who are "the least") is to act with agape as much as possible in our journey.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks for the comment, Don. I've often considered what utter blasphemy it must have seemed like when Jesus equated Himself with God. No wonder those without spiritual sight walked away.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks, Gary. Yes, what He said is quite difficult. But I suspect there is no life better lived than the one lived in growing obedience and love for Him. My prayer is I get to that greater spot long before I die.

Anonymous said...

I recently read this, after I read your blog, from Psalm 37. I love the phrase, "do not fret":
Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him; Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,Because of the man who carries out wicked schemes. Cease from anger and forsake wrath;Do not fret; it leads only to evildoing.
For evildoers will be cut off,
But those who wait for the Lord, they will inherit the land.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks, Anonymous. What is the title of the blog post you are referring to? I've been unable to find it with blogspot search engine, and you have me curious.