There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, February 20, 2021

Good News, Bad News

I read chapter five of John’s gospel this morning and some good news and some bad news caught my attention:

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life . . . Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment. (John 5:24, 28,29)

Here is the good news: Everyone will live forever. God said it and we should believe it. And that should settle it. Everyone will live forever. That’s the good news.

And here is the bad news: Everyone will live forever. God said it and we should believe it. And that should settle it. Everyone will live forever. That’s the bad news.

What we do with Jesus in this life determines where we will live our forever; either in an eternity with our God and Father, or in an eternity in torment in the lake of fire.

Jesus asked some of His day, “How can you believe in Me when you are more interested in what others think about you than you are concerned about what God thinks of you.”  I think that is a fair paraphrase of chapter 5 and verse 44.

 

And so, what have you done about Jesus? Are you striving to follow Him in obedience to His commandments? Or have you dismissed Him as unimportant to your life and your affairs?

 

Your time is running out. Every day brings you one day closer to the judgement seat of God – where good news, or bad news, awaits you.

 

And it can happen in an instant. Without warning.

1 comment:

S.K. Orr said...

A good and sobering reminder of an important truth.

Since beginning my journey into Catholicism, I have noticed that my thoughts turn to eternity, judgment, purgatory, etc. MUCH more than they ever did when I was a Protestant. I am grateful for this, too, seeing it as a measure of grace provided to me by Christ.