There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, October 21, 2019

Something to Provoke Thought

I’m preparing one of my Bible studies for next week. As I was putting it together, I thought to post this section to provoke some thought.
"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” (John 14:27)
a. How is the principle of this text similar to the opening verses of this chapter (chapter 14): “Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also”?
b. What is the source of the peace Jesus speaks of here?
c. Now see John 16:33 “I have told you this so that you might have peace in me. In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.”
d. How does all this compare with St. Paul’s words to the Christians at Philippi? “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. (Philippians 4:8-9)
e. What daily practices can you employ to better sense the peace Scripture speaks of here?

No comments: