There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, July 15, 2018

The Simple and Direct Approach

It had been years since I had prayed to God. Been that many years since I even chose to admit He existed. I wanted to do what I wanted to do far more than I wanted to admit I was doing wrong. 
But then came that day in September 1972. It was Yom Kippur,  the Day of Atonement. The highest of the holy days in my Jewish faith. And the weight of my compounding sins pressed heavily on me. 
I could not – I would not on this day play games any longer with God. But I didn’t know what to say to the One from whom I had run for so many years. So I chose the simple and direct approach: 
“God, forgive me for my past sins, and look with tolerance on my future sins.”
I knew I was trapped in sin. I knew intuitively I’d never be free of it. I could only plead with God for His mercy.
And in His mercy, three months later, He showed me Jesus.
Only those who’ve despaired, who’ve grieved over their sin can understand the freedom, the joy, the wonder, the grace, the glory, the relief inherent in that last clause.
I hope you are such a one.


No comments: