There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Friday, July 3, 2015

Grace to Know



I came across this passage today in Acts 18. It’s about a Jewish man named Apollos who was “speaking and teaching accurately the things concerning Jesus, being acquainted only with the baptism of John . . . But when Priscilla and Aquila heard him, they took him aside and explained to him the way of God more accurately.

So many of us who love Jesus tell others about the wonderful things of God. But we only tell what we know. How much more do we NOT know?

So I laid aside my Bible and offered God this prayer from Psalm 119:

“Oh Lord! Open my eyes, that I may behold Wonderful things from Your law.” (v. 18)

“Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes, And I shall observe it to the end.”

“Give me understanding, that I may observe Your law

And keep it with all my heart . . . .”

“Incline my heart to Your testimonies . . . . Turn away my eyes from looking at vanity, And revive me in Your ways.”  

“Establish Your word to Your servant, As that which produces reverence for You. . . .  Revive me through Your righteousness.” (vv. 33-40)

Will you pray with me that we will each better know?

And that we will each better obey?

2 comments:

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I really like your pairing knowledge with obedience. Without humility of heart to obey, all the knowledge in the world about God is merely head tripping.

When I read the story of Apollos I imagine how joyful he must have felt when Priscilla and Aquila told him the rest of the story, filling in the blank spots and the glorious completion of Christ's redemptive suffering. So often I am delighted when I read your blog and have a blank spot I never knew existed filled in. This opens the way for me to be a more effective witness just as Apollos, whose heart was certainly in the right place, must have become a better witness. Jesus is the Alpha and Omega of our Christian life and it is very comforting to have fellow Catholic Christians to walk this way with us just as the early Christians did with one another.

Rich Maffeo said...

Barb, that is very kind, and encouraging, for you to say. Thank you.