There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Oh, How He Loves You and Me

While reading through Mark's gospel my eye focused on 12:24, and I began musing on how I might write about it. I hope it speaks to you this Advent season:
----------------
Jesus said to them, “Are you not misled because you do not know the scriptures or the power of God? (Mark 12:24).


It is also
so sadly true
that we can be misled
because we do not know
the Scriptures,
or the mercy of God.
Or His forgiveness.
Compassion.
Or patience.

We err when we
ascribe to Him
volatile
impatience.
Vengeance.
Rejection.

We err to conclude
He ruthlessly demands
consistent perfection,
unfailing obedience,
or He turns His back
and pitilessly
sends us away.

How mistaken we are –
How tragically mistaken we are –
to take texts out of context
and ascribe human imperfections
to God’s ineffable perfection.

We do so when
we do not understand
the whole of Scripture
and, therefore,
the gentle love,
kindness,
and goodness
bound up in
our Father
who art in heaven.

For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways, [says] the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, [and] My thoughts higher than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

No comments: