There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Only an Allegory?

See to it that no one captivate you with an empty, seductive philosophy according to human tradition, according to the elemental powers of the world and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells the whole fullness of the deity bodily (Colossians 2:8-9).

If Adam and Eve are not
historical individuals,
but simply a story
to illustrate humanity’s turn from God,
then for whom did God kill the animal
to cover their sin with blood
and their bodies with clothing*
and which foreshadowed
the Lamb of God,
whose blood on a cross
would cover our sins?

If Adam and Eve are only an fable,
then from whom do we inherit original sin?
And what could St. Paul have meant when he wrote:
“For just as in Adam all die,
so too in Christ shall all be brought to life?**
Or what could the Apostle have meant when he wrote:
“Through one person sin entered the world, and through sin death,”***
if our first parents were simply
an allegory?

If Adam and Eve
are only an allegory,
can we be certain
Jesus’ resurrection
is not also an allegory,
a fable to illustrate life’s triumph over death?
Or can we be sure
the changing of bread and wine during Mass
into the very Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ
is not also an allegory to illustrate
God's presence with us?

But more serious is the question,
if Adam and Eve are not
historical individuals,
then perhaps He whom is called “God”
is also not really historical –
but only an allegory . . .

for what purpose,
one can only guess.

*Genesis 3:21
** 1 Corinthians 15:22
*** Romans 5:12

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, I will sit with this and reflect on it for a long time. Thank you.
Andie

Rich Maffeo said...

I am glad some of the things I write encourage readers to reflect. I have not had to deal with the kinds of -- what I call 'liberal' theological perspectives -- I have not had to deal with those things on such a consistent basis for many years. But having to do so now is forcing me to reconsider what I believe and why I believe it. This is a good thing. It serves to strengthen my faith, and in some cases, alter my position. Case in point -- I am a Catholic Christian today because of the challenges a knowledgable Catholic made several years ago to my interpretation of Scripture. After much deliberation, I determined he was right and I was wrong. Hence, I came into the Catholic Church. So I like to think of myself as willing to change when a good argument for change can be made. But the things about which I have written lately fail that test (IMO) quite miserably. Which is why I write about them.

Rich Maffeo said...

Actually, what I meant to say was, "After much deliberation, prayer and study, I determined he was right and I was wrong . . ."

Anonymous said...

Appreciate your thinking Richard. I work with many RCIA adults and year after year many say that one of the things that attracts them to the Catholic Faith is the consistency, the structure of the church. We are far from perfect, but we have survived which, to me is evidence of both the human and the Divine. The early Church Fathers and Desert Fathers and Mothers have much wisdom to share. Sometimes we need to go back to our roots, do you agree?
Andie

Rich Maffeo said...

Oh, my yes. How I wish we would return to our roots. I fear we have gone -- in some cases -- quite astray from the wisdom and the spiritual power of our early Church.