There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, August 17, 2009

Sunday is Coming

In my reading through St. Luke's gospel, I came to this text: Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Father, into your hands I commend my spirit"; and when he had said this he breathed his last (Luke 23:46). Two verses later, St. Luke adds: When all the people who had gathered for this spectacle saw what had happened, they returned home beating their breasts.

Those who mourned had good reason to beat their breasts and weep. Their beloved Lord was dead. They would bury His body. He would be gone.

But as I read this passage I realized I have an advantage over those who wept at the foot of the cross. I knew Sunday was coming. I only had to turn the page and read the next chapter.

Over the decades of my life, I have had reason to mourn over many heartaches. Some have been quite significant. And each time great sorrow flooded my life, I rarely had the strength -- or the faith -- to see Sunday coming. And that is sad, because faith gives us an advantage over all things that bring us despair and hopelessness.

Faith, the "assurance of things hoped for and the conviction of things not seen" helps us see Sunday coming (Hebrews 11:1).

And with Sunday, life.

3 comments:

NCSue said...

The Holy Spirit was wooing you on Yom Kippur, and drew you to himself.

In some respects, our pre-conversions stories are similar. I still find the mercy of God to be astonishing - such grace!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ridchard . How familiar are you with the "Collected Works of St John of the Cross ".or for that matter with "The Way of Perfection." Teresa of Avila . And some work writen by Therese of Lisieux . And Ruth Burrows which is an Engliswh Spiritual writer .She is still alive . So is also my former prof fr Ron Rolheiser . who is very much a into contemplative writings such John of the Cross his whole book the Restless Heart is based upon the theolgy of John of the Cross . Greetings and Prayer . John .Flipsen .Dcn

Rich Maffeo said...

Hi, John. I am familiar with the writings of the saints you mention (although certainly not fluent with their works -- though I probably should be better acquainted). I am not familiar with Ruth Burrows and only marginally with Ron Rolheiser. Why do you ask?

rich