There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, August 1, 2009

Manipulating Pharaohs and Kings

I'm sure the Holy Spirit tries to get my attention every day about this matter. Most of the time I hear Him only once or twice a month.

Or less.

So, there I was reading Exodus this morning, and He caught me with this verse: "But I will harden Pharaoh's heart that I may multiply My signs and My wonders in the land of Egypt" (7:3).

Then my thoughts turned to the words in Isaiah: "Behold, the nations are like a drop from a bucket, and are regarded as a speck of dust on the scales; Behold, He lifts up the islands like fine dust . . . All the nations are as nothing before Him, they are regarded by Him as less than nothing and meaningless" (40:15-17).

And finally, this passage from Proverbs: "The king's heart is as channels of water in the hands of the Lord. He turns it wherever He wishes" (21:1).

I know I wouldn't get nearly as spun up as I get about current political issues if I was truly confident in the absolute, unequaled and transcendent sovereignty and power of God. If all the nations on earth combined are as specks of dust on God's scales -- then how much less are those who lead those nations?

God remains on His throne. His plan for the redemption of humankind has not been sidetracked. It is precisely on target and on time. And, as He manipulated pharaohs and kings in the past to accomplish His purpose, so He still does today.

My challenge is to more fully trust Him, and "lean not unto my own understanding" (Proverbs 3:5).

That's something worth contemplating.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

amen.

Unknown said...

This relates to one of my favorite meditations -- to pray for the grace to live within the holy mystery of my life.

And I suppose, to act in kindness and charity, which is tougher part of the job (rueful smile).