There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, February 15, 2024

Lenten Observance

“If you have died with Christ to the elementary principles of the world, why, as if you were living in the world, do you submit yourself to decrees, such as, “Do not handle, do not taste, do not touch!” . . . . These are matters which have, to be sure, the appearance of wisdom in self-made religion and self-abasement and severe treatment of the body, but are of no value against fleshly indulgence.” (Colossians 2:20-21, 23)

 

I’ve decided to do something different this year for Lent. Instead of giving up something – which has (for me) never proven to be of much spiritual value – I’m going to do something different.

 

During the 40 days of Lent, I’m going to add a chapter from the Psalms to my regular morning and evening Bible reading. I’m doing that because, as I said, giving something up for Lent has never proved to draw me closer to my Lord. But I do not doubt for a moment that reading an extra chapter of His holy word each day will be a useless exercise.


And what about you? I’m curious – if you observe the season of Lent (and, by the way, I think it’s a WONDERFUL way to journey toward Good Friday and Resurrection Sunday –I’m not sure why more churches don’t observe Lent) – so what is your plan as part of your Lenten observance? Others might be interested to know. It will perhaps give them ideas for themselves.


No comments: