There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, May 27, 2023

Whom in Heaven?

 

One of my more current memory verses is from psalm 73. The context is the Psalmist’s confusion over the prosperity and well-being of the ungodly. He does not understand why the Lord seems so silent; Why it appears that He lets them slide so easily through life.

Which brings me to the text that spoke to my heart. It begins at verse 21: “When my heart was embittered and I was pierced within, Then I was senseless and ignorant; I was like a beast before You. Nevertheless, I am continually with You; You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory."

Two things in these four verses encourage me. First, it’s okay to let God know of my frustration. And anger. And disappointment. And confusion.

Second, even when I get that way, when I focus on my jumbled and chaotic emotions, even when I act like a senseless and ignorant and thankless beast toward Him . . . now look with me now at those next two verses:

Nevertheless, I am continually with You.” Let me repeat that clause for emphasis: Nevertheless, I am continually with You.”

The psalmist continues: “You have taken hold of my right hand. With Your counsel You will guide me, and afterward receive me to glory.”

Oh, the grace and love and mercy and compassion of our Father who art in heaven. How wonderful is His name in all the earth – that even when I am angry with Him, or disappointed, or confused, or embittered, or senseless, or acting like a thankless beast – He remains with me. Continually. Always at my side. Tightly holding my right hand. Never letting me go. Always whispering to me His counsel. His guidance. His direction.

And don’t overlook that last clause: Afterward, He will “receive me to glory.”

He does all that even when His child through Christ is senseless. And ignorant. And like a beast before Him.

The Psalmist continues: “Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Read that again: “Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.”

Oh, isn’t He a most wonderful, compassionate, loving, merciful, and faithful Savior? Our flesh and our heart may fail. Our emotions may get all muddled. But yet and still, He alone is the strength of our heart and our portion forever. He is continually with us. He always tightly holds our right hand and gently whispers in our hearts His counsel.

Always.

Oh, yes. Whom have we in heaven but Him? And on earth, what more can we desire?

No comments: