There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, August 9, 2022

The Matchless Name

 

Because I grew up in a mixed Jewish and Gentile neighborhood, I heard Jesus’ name quite often. Most often as a swear word. So, I didn’t know ‘Christ’ was not Jesus’ last name. Even when I knelt beside my barracks bunk on December 25, 1972 to commit my life to Him, it would still be another few months before someone told me what ‘Christ’ really means.

Christ is Jesus’ title. Other Biblical ways of addressing Him are ‘Jesus the Messiah’, or, “Jesus the Anointed One”. And I would only slowly learn what those terms – Messiah, Anointed One – described: “Jesus the Lamb of God who takes away my sin”, “Jesus lover of my soul”, “Jesus the Great Shepherd”, “Jesus the King of kings”, “Jesus the Lord of lords”, “Jesus the Redeemer”, “Jesus my substitute who died in my place to pay the penalty of my sins”.

And those are just the beginning of how Scripture communicates the role of Jesus the Christ.

So, my point?

Nearly 50 years after I knelt beside my barracks bunk, I know the theology behind Jesus’ title. I’ve taught it and written about it again and again. And likely if you are reading this, you also have a pretty good grasp on what “Christ’ means.

But although I know the theology, I too often tend to forget the absolute majesty, power, glory, the height and the depth and the breadth and the width of what all His name means.

And you might tend to forget at times as well.

It is at the name of Jesus that “every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” (Philippians 2:10-11)

Every knee. Every tongue. Even those of Satan and his entire army of demons. Every created thing will ultimately declare that Jesus Christ is Lord.

Period.

Jesus the Christ. Jesus the Messiah. Jesus the Anointed One. Jesus the eternal God in human flesh. Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb who takes away sin.

Jesus.

Oh! May God help us better understand the eternal authority and power He gives us in and through the matchless name of Jesus the Christ – authority and power over sin, temptation, fear, and even the devil himself.

All through the mighty name of Jesus.

Rich Maffeo
maffeo.richard@outlook.com 

Blog: www.inhimonly.blogspot.com 

No comments: