There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Why Doesn't God Fix It?

Her name doesn’t matter to the story. I met her today when I ministered at one of the Memory Care facilities not too far from my home. Her husband died many years ago after 30 years of marriage. I could see her struggling with some of the memories she wanted to share with me – but the memories would just not come in any coherent fashion.

Tears welled in her eyes as she stuttered, seemed to lose her train of thought, and then gave up.

Meanwhile, my heart welled up in my throat. She could have been my wife – they’re about the same age. And so, I took her hand in mine and looked in her eyes.

“I know it is hard for you to remember. But this I tell you: ‘God knows your heartaches and your frustrations and your fears. He has not left you. He is right beside you all the day and night. And when He calls you home, you will see your beloved husband – and you will remember everything.’”

I emphasized the word, ‘Everything.’

She nodded, tried to smile. And the tears fell onto her cheeks.

I think of that frightened and lonely woman as I sit here now preparing for another Bible study in a different place later this week. And the Lord reminded me of this promise in Revelation 21:

“Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea. And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, made ready as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.” And He who sits on the throne said, “Behold, I am making all things new.” And He *said, “Write, for these words are faithful and true.” (Revelation 21:1-5)

Life is very hard for many people. I do not know how anyone gets through it without faith in Someone who not only knows their heartaches, but who deeply cares about their heartaches.

Why doesn’t He fix it? I don’t know. But all I hold onto – and I hold onto it only with His help – all I hold onto is this: God is good. All the time and in all situations and circumstances. And I trust that to be true because He says it is true.

And in the meantime, I say – along with millions of others like the woman I talked to earlier today – we say, ‘Maranatha, Lord Jesus. Come quickly.”

No comments: