There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, June 13, 2021

The Problem. The Promise. (Sermon)

 

SERMON JUNE 13 2021

The Problem. The Promise.

 

You can listen to this message here: https://youtu.be/zA58FOvddUs

 

 

Our first text today is from the last several verse of Romans chapter seven. The second text comes from the first verses in chapter eight. This is an important message of hope and of God’s promise of redemption – even to a people who stumble and fall again and again in their journey toward the Celestial kingdom.

 

The title of my message today is: The Problem and the Promise. And we will get to the promise later in the message. But now, we find the problem enumerated for us, starting with verse 15 of chapter seven. The great apostle Paul confesses:

 

“For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.  . . . 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?” (Romans 7:15-24)

 

I’ve been walking with Jesus since December 1972. Forty-eight and a half years. That is one reason I felt so badly several days ago when I was speaking with the Lord during my morning time of prayer. I’d had a bad several days during which I pouted and not-so-silently fumed because things were not going my way.

 

And when the Lord finally got my attention and opened my eyes to my sin, I could only shake my head in frustration and near hopelessness. After all these decades serving Christ, I still find myself all too often acting like I am newly saved.

 

Well, the Lord didn’t let me wallow in my self-recrimination for very long. Scripture flooded into my thoughts – some of which I am about to share with you during this message. The point of those texts is all about encouragement – for myself and also for anyone else frustrated again and again by their spiritual failures.

 

And if those failures leave you wondering if God will forgive you AGAIN for the same sins AGAIN – I have a DEFINITIVE answer for you from God’s word:

 

Yes, He will forgive the penitent – again and again. 1 John 1:8-9 is only one of a bazillion promises God makes to the penitent: “If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 

As I agonized over my repeated failure, the lyrics of a song by Kathy Trocolli, came to mind. Here are some of the more salient lyrics that spoke to my heart that morning. Perhaps these lyrics will encourage you, also:

 

Caught again, Your faithless friend/Don't You ever tire of hearing what a fool I've been?/Guess I should pray, but what can I say?/Oh, it hurts to know the hundred times I've caused You pain/Though 'Forgive me' sounds so empty when I never change/Yet You stay and say, "I love you still"/ Forgiving me time and time again

It's Your stubborn love that never lets go of me/I don't understand how You can stay/Perfect love embracing the worst in me/How I long for Your stubborn love

So, yes. God repeatedly promises to forgive the truly penitent again. Nonetheless, and as I alluded to moments ago, my failures sometimes leave me wondering if I am EVER going to get it right. And perhaps you wonder the same thing about yourself.

 

Well, if the experience of Christians throughout history is any clue – don’t get your hopes up too high about finally getting it right on this side of the grave. We should expect to constantly struggle against our sin nature.

 

After all, what would have been the point of Jesus dying in our place if we could become pretty much perfect and mature without Him?

 

And that’s why it astounds me that some Christians believe that once we are saved, we are forever from that moment free from sin and its temptation. “We are ‘born again’” goes the argument. “We are ‘new creatures in Christ.’” “We’ve died to sin and now live for Jesus. We don’t sin. We just make mistakes and errors in judgment.”

 

Listen, I don’t know how any HONEST Christian can believe such drivel. Not only does such a fallacious and demonstrably bogus idea fly in the face of the Biblical record, but it makes a mockery of the Christian struggle against sin and temptation for the last two THOUSAND years.

 

St. Peter is a perfect example. It was Peter who fell into hypocrisy long after being filled with the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. Here is how Paul describes it in his letter to the church at Galatia: But when Cephas [Peter] came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned. For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision. The rest of the Jews joined him in hypocrisy, with the result that even Barnabas was carried away by their hypocrisy.”  (Galatians 2:11-13)

 

Had it not been for the Holy Spirit’s rebuke through Paul, Peter’s sin might have caused an irreparable rupture in the early Church.

 

But Peter was not alone in his propensity to stumble in his walk toward the Kingdom. Let’s look also at St. Paul – the one who wrote at least 13 of the 27 books of the New Testament. It was this Paul who cried out in those last verses of Romans 7 I read at the beginning of this message:

 

For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. . . . For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.  . . . Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?”

 

Christian, hear this please: The Holy Spirit is telling us through His inerrant and infallible word that Christians should NOT EXPECT a life that always reflects Jesus to be easy. Our attempts to imitate Christ are inherently fraught – inherently because we are HUMAN – our attempts to imitate Christ are inherently fraught with ups and downs and successes and failures.

 

If it were not that way, then the Lord Jesus would not have had to warn the Christians in those seven churches listed in Revelation chapters two and three, some of whom had lost their first love, and others were following heretical and openly immoral teachers and leaders in their congregations.

 

So, our sin nature will be with us and will dog us until we close our eyes in death. But the good news in all that – and this is important – the good news in all that is that ALL Christians who persevere in living for Christ to the best of their frail human abilities WILL stand clean before our God. Here are His words of promise through Jude:

 

“Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, 25 to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen. (Jude 24-25)

 

So, Christian – Be encouraged by Paul’s words to the Christians at Philippi – the same Paul who was wracked with sorrow over his own sin nature:

 

“Not that I have already . . . become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus . . . however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained. [Philippians 2:12-16]

 

In other words, Christian – God is telling us to keep on keeping on – keep on SLOGGING on, keep moving toward Christ. Stop staring in the rearview mirror at where you’ve BEEN and what’ve DONE. Keep your eyes focused on where you are GOING, fixing your eyes on Jesus and His cross through which He purchased – past tense, a fiat accompli – our full redemption, forgiveness, and eternal life.

 

The problem occurs if we stop keeping on, if we give up slogging forward. It is then that we begin to backslide and no longer live to the standard of faith and maturity that we have already attained by God’s grace.

Listen to what God inspired Paul to also write to the Christians at Philippi: For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.  (Phil 1:6). God was speaking to ME also. And to YOU also.

 

That was all the bad news. That all was the problem – our sin nature and the danger we face if we become so disheartened by it all that we listen to Satan’s whispers to give up. BUT – and please now hear this, the Problem melts in the presence of God’s Promise.

 

What is that promise? God does not leave us at the end of chapter seven of Romans. Oh, no. God showers us with His unqualified grace, His unchangeable Promise that we find in Romans 8. If we think God is done with us because of our repeated failures, listen to Paul again:

 

Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death. For what the Law could not do, weak as it was through the flesh, God did: sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and as an offering for sin, He condemned sin in the flesh, so that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us, who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:1-4)

 

I sure hope you paid attention to that message from the man who himself had every reason to wallow in self-recrimination. But he did not, because He knew the one who loved him enough to forgive him of every sin, every time.

 

He knew the one “who gave Himself for our sins so that He might rescue us from this present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father . . . (Galatians 1:4)  He knew the one who is the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth” and “who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood.” (Revelation 1:5)

 

Christian, seek God’s work in your life so that you – that WE – will come to know Jesus like Paul knew Him. We need to always remember God DOES NOT CONDEMN any penitent child of His.

 

Never.

 

So let me close with this final exhortation: We all have a problem. It is called our sin nature. BUT we all are offered God’s promise, that being: No condemnation to those who walk humbly and in repentance each day with the Savior.

 

God knows the good that He still plans to work through your life – even at your state of health and your age and your life-circumstances. God still knows the plans He plans to still work through you and with you – even as susceptible as you are to failure.

 

God will not give up on you. Don’t YOU give up on God. If St. Paul did not get hung up by his failures, but he kept trusting God to forgive, cleanse, and renew Him – then you and I can do the same.

 

We can trust God’s stubborn love to never let go of us. Even when we don’t understand how He can stay with us, even when we don’t understand how His perfect love still longs to embrace the worst in us.

 

Oh, with His help I will trust His stubborn love. And with His help, so will you.

 


No comments: