There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, May 23, 2020

While You are Young


I just finished Ecclesiastes a few days ago. I read the book at least once a year. And as always, Solomon’s words in the last chapter caught my attention: Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth, before the evil days come and the years draw near when you will say, “I have no delight in them”

I don’t think it coincidental that I also recently finished reading a sermon preached long ago by a 19th century Church of Scotland pastor, Robert Murray McCheyne. Here is part of what he told his congregation:

I do not pretend to give a reason why . . . the period of youth is the best time for being saved. It has been observed, and it is very remarkable, that in all the great revivals that have taken place in our own and in bygone days, the most of those who have been converted were young people.”

I never thought much about the connection of one’s age with the time they committed their lives to the Savior. But the older I get – seventy in a few days – the more it seems true that the older a person becomes, the less likely it is that he or she will choose Christ over eternal death.

Why is that? I think it is because they have for too long hardened themselves against the call of God and the claim of the gospels.

I’ve never researched the subject, and certainly never done a statistical analysis, but as I look back over my own walk with Jesus it does seem – at least anecdotally – that most of those who become children of God do so before the age of 30 or 35.

That’s not to say an 80-year-old cannot get saved. I’ve seen it happen. But I’ve seen it only rarely.

So, my point? If you’re a teenager, a 20-something, or into your thirties, the longer you wait to give yourself to Jesus, the harder it will become to become a child of God.

Solomon opened chapter 12 of Ecclesiastes with these words: Remember also your Creator in the days of your youth . . ..” He closed the chapter with these: The conclusion, when all has been heard, is [this]: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. For God will bring every act to judgment, everything which is hidden, whether it is good or evil.

Please. Young or old, please, make the right choice today. It is remarkably easy to harden your heart against Jesus’ call to follow Him.

No comments: