There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

No Longer Able to Hear

I do not post this with anyone in mind. I simply post it so you might share it with others if you feel it appropriate to do so.
------------ Just yesterday I had what I consider a distressing conversation with an elderly gentleman. I’ve known him most of my life. He grew up irreligious, and he passed on his disapproval of religion to his son and daughter. Now he’s 90 and dying with brain cancer. He doesn’t accept his terminal diagnosis. I called because I sensed the Holy Spirit urge me to talk with him about eternity one more time. I didn’t think I’d get very far. And I was right. As soon as I brought up the subject of God, the tenor of his voice changed. It seemed louder, bordering on strident. He told me he was not at all interested in religion. “They’re a bunch of hypocrites,” he said. I could almost see him clench his teeth and narrow his eyes. “Religious people should do good things,” he said. “But they only do bad things.” As he spoke, I remembered hearing him say the same things over the last 60 years that I’ve known him. And I wondered how many times during those years did he slowly, inexorably harden himself against the Savior’s gentle call? How many times did he turn from one opportunity after another to soften his heart? For sixty years he’s been saying the same thing. For sixty years he added layer after layer of concrete on his heart. And now he can do nothing else but criticize, disparage, and repudiate God’s call. His heart is like a rock. And that is why I appeal to you whose heart has not yet been hardened like his: Please. This is not about religion. It’s not about church. It’s about God who loves you. It’s about Jesus who died for you, to take away the judgement for your sins. I beg you while there is still time for you, won't you be reconciled to God? Won't you tell Him you’re sorry for your sinful life and your sinful ways? Won't you ask Jesus now, this moment, for His forgiveness? Won't you soften your heart? It is a terrible thing to be so close to death and unable to any longer hear the Savior’s gentle call.

No comments: