There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, January 4, 2020

If You Were the Only One


Perhaps you might take some time today to reflect on this truth for a few minutes: 

If you – and NO ONE else – if you were the only person on earth to need redemption, Jesus would have done everything that he did when he died for humanity. If you were the only one of 6 billion people to need redemption, He would have done it all for YOU.

He would have let them pull out His beard. Punch Him in the face. Spit at Him. Whip him at the post until strips of flesh hung from his back. Push a makeshift crown of thorns into his forehead until blood dripped into his eyes and traced along his cheeks. And finally, nail his limbs to the wood.

Ponder long those things. 

Now, how does it make you feel to know if YOU were the only person on earth to need redemption, he would have permitted it all to be done to him?

For me, ‘gratitude’ seems too insipid to even mention. Overwhelmed? I am not sure even that word works. But this, from Isaac Watts, comes close: 

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.


No comments: