There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, December 7, 2019

Between the Garden and the Cross


I’ve often wondered how Jesus remained so calm during His trial, His scourging, and finally His torturous crucifixion. He was anything BUT calm in the Garden of Gethsemane. St. Luke tells us: And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground. (Luke 22:44) 

So, what happened between the Garden and the Cross that He remained at peace through it all? 

I think I found the answer in St. Matthew’s eleventh chapter. Speaking to His disciples, Jesus said: “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

Would the Lord ask of us anything He Himself was unwilling to do? Of course not. Notice what Matthew tells us happened in that Garden: “He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, “My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Thy will be done.” (Matthew 26:42)

It was in that Gethsemane Garden, when the Lord chose to take His Father’s yoke, that He found rest for His soul. Because of His complete trust in the Father, Jesus found the yoke was easy, and the burden was light.

Trust is a choice. Jesus could have called 12 legions of angels to His rescue (Matthew 26:53). But He chose not to. He chose instead to trust His Father – through the trial, the scourging, onto the cross, even to the bitter end. That’s why the Lord tells us to take upon ourselves the yoke and the burden He give us; for only then will we find rest and peace amid the varied and often serious agonies of life.

Holy Spirit, please help us in our every circumstance to say to the Father, as the Lord Jesus said to Him: “If this cup cannot pass away unless I drink it, Thy will be done.

No comments: