There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, January 5, 2019

Tree of Life

Over the past 46 years I’ve created stacks of Scripture memory cards. They’re about the size of a business card. The size makes it easy to carry around in my pockets. 

This evening, while waiting on line at the food market, I pulled this verse from my stack: “Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled is a tree of life.” (Proverbs 13:12) 

The text caught me off guard. I guess it’s been a bad few days. As I placed the milk and eggs and a few other items on the belt, I nearly reflexively asked God, “Lord, do you see this text?” 

Well, of course He saw it. He inspired Solomon to write it. But at the moment I was feeling a little like the psalmist David. If you’ve read much of his songs you know he also had his days when he wondered if God knew his name and address. 

God did. And God does. But still, hope deferred does sadden the heart. 

Have you ever felt that way? 

“Lord, we look to you. Help us to wait patiently on you to fulfill what you know is our deepest hope. Its fulfillment, Lord, will be to us as a tree of life.”

No comments: