There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

It's Called, "Faith"


Anyone who asks, I tell them I have absolutely no doubt that if I die today, I will find myself staring into the loving and smiling face of Jesus my Savior. 
Some people, though, have told me I am too presumptuous about God. 
I don’t think I am.  
It is not presumption to take God at His word. It was He who said: “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life. (John 5:24) 
‘Belief’ in the NT is inseparably tied to obedience. Now notice the bolded verb tenses. They describe something already accomplished. 
And neither is it presumption to believe the apostle John when, under the inerrant inspiration of the Holy Spirit, tells us: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:11-13)  Notice again the verb tenses describing something already accomplished.
But – and this is critical – the one who lives habitually in sin, even going so far as to take without repentance Holy Communion, and yet thinks he or she has eternal life – now THAT is presumption. 
That is dangerous, deadly, even damnable presumption. (For example, see Luke 13:25-27). 
God is always true to His promises. Whether for salvation or for damnation, God is never ambiguous. When we live for Christ, walking with Him each day, seeking to the best of our ability to obey Him – and always ready to confess and turn from sin – our trust in His promises is not at all presumption.
It’s called, faith.

No comments: