There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Especially to those in their 20s and 30s

I posted this three years ago. Three. It is so much more timely today.
------------
An appeal to all Christians, but especially 20 and 30-somethings.

Perhaps it’s my age. Or perhaps it is the times in which we live; But, I’ve never before witnessed such pervasive darkness in the world. And along with that darkness, never before have I witnessed such wide-spread theological error -- error that seems to encourage the darkness.

Some of the error, I hope, is simply innocent ignorance. But some, I am convinced, is purposeful deceit. Such error pervades the media, politics, the culture, even in some cases the pulpit. It is sometimes subtle, sometimes not-so-subtle. But none of it – or certainly very little of it – would get passed the average person in the pew if that person had a working knowledge of the Scriptures.

I would expect ignorance among those who couldn't care less about God. But I am astonished at the ignorance of God’s word among those I’ve heard, or read, who claim it to be their sword, their road map, their food, and drink.

And so, my appeal to everyone who calls Christ lord – but ESPECIALLY to you in your 20s and 30s. You eat food each day for strength, and you shower each day for cleansing, so I beg you – I beg you – set yourself to read the Bible every day to feed your spirit and cleanse your soul. It is never too early to start. And for those older than the 30s, it is never too late. The point is: Please. Start today.

Why? In 20, 30, 40 years – years, when they have passed, will seem like a watch in the night – decades from now you will joyfully discover yourself readily conversant with God’s Book. You will have insight and knowledge that will raise proverbial flags and alarms when you hear or read something subtle, or not-so-subtle, something that ‘just doesn’t seem right.’ You will know the truth of St. Jerome’s exhortation: "Ignorance of Scripture is ignorance of Christ." And you will find joy in the psalmist’s word, "Oh, how I love thy law. It is my meditation day and night."

Please. Start today.

No comments: