There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, June 8, 2017

Labels

The first thing he told me during our conversation about the political and social issues facing America was, “I’m a Methodist.”

To be fair, he is not the first person I’ve ever spoken with who made certain I knew his or her religious affiliation. And you’ve probably heard it, too; Maybe even said it: “I’m a Southern Baptist.” “I’m a Presbyterian.” “I’m a Catholic.” “I’m a Pentecostal.” “I’m a Lutheran.” “I’m a . . . . “

I sometimes get weary of the denominational labels. Why can’t Christians say simply, “I’m a Christian”? And if we really feel impelled to self-identify with a denominational label, why not, “I’m a Christian who happens to be a Methodist . . . or a Baptist . . . or a Lutheran . . . or a Catholic . . . or a . . . . .?

Unless Christ really is that divided.

No comments: