There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Memorizing Scripture



I’ve read the book of Colossians more than 100 times. I know that to be true because I’ve kept a record since 1975 – when I started keeping records of my annual journey through the Bible.

Several weeks ago – April 30, actually – I decided to start memorizing large swaths of Scripture, as I used to do many years ago. I began at Colossians 1:1.

Memorizing large sections of Scripture is not as difficult as it might at first seem. In fact, I find it easier than memorizing verses in isolation. Larger sections of scripture tend to make better sense because the verses are each in context with the surrounding verses.

In the four weeks since I began my memory work in Colossians, I’ve also discovered a deeper understanding of the text – even though I’ve read the chapter more than 100 times.

I attribute that to the fact that as I commit the texts to memory, I have to rehearse them again and again and again for days and weeks at a time. I don’t believe it possible to place so much emphasis on hiding God’s word in your heart that the Holy Spirit will not open deeper understanding to His word.

So what am I trying to say?

Why not commit yourself to memorize not just a few verses in isolation, but what about an entire chapter of Scripture – or even an entire (short) book? It might seem a gargantuan task . . . but it really CAN be done if you determine to do so.

Set a goal for yourself. Mine is to complete Colossians before the end of the year -- certainly an obtainable goal. You can set something similar for yourself -- even if it is only a full chapter of some book before the end of the summer.

What do you think? Want to do this together?

No comments: