There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Hidden



I’d just brushed my teeth and they looked clean when I examined them in the mirror. Then I grabbed the floss. By the time I moved from the top molars on my left to the other side, I’d pulled free enough bits of food to provide myself breakfast the next morning.

The Psalmist wrote, “Who can detect their errors? [O Lord] Clear me from hidden faults.” (Psalm 19:12) And his son, Solomon, observed, “There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death.” (Proverbs 14:12).

There is not a mature Christian on the planet who does not know sin is sometimes so subtle, we easily – and often willingly – fall for its deception. Likewise, there is not a mature Christian on the planet who would not quickly tell anyone who would listen, only the light of the Scripture can illuminate for us the darkness hidden in the crevices of our hearts.

Over time, hidden food will cause significant health problems, the least of which are horrible breath, tooth decay, and gum disease. But sin that remains hidden from us will over time do much worse. It will devastate our lives, ruin our relationships, and result in unremitting heartache, loss, sadness – and ultimately eternal death.

Because of God’s passionate love for us – let me repeat that phrase because I don’t want you to miss it – Because of God’s passionate love for us, He tells us again and again how important it is to let His Word shine its light into the furthest shadows of our souls. Here are some examples:  

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight . . . . (Hebrews 4:12)

And: Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. (Psalm 119:105). 

And yet again: Your testimonies are wonderful; Therefore my soul observes them.  The unfolding of Your words gives light; It gives understanding to the simple. (Psalm 119:129-130).

From the first verse of Genesis to the last verse of Revelation, God implores us to read His word, to meditate on it, and to obey it. Hidden food between our teeth is one thing. Hidden sin in our life is something else entirely.

Christian – make it your practice to prayerfully read God’s word every day. There is absolutely no other way to see the sin that so easily hides itself within.

No comments: