There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, May 28, 2015

82 -- No, Now it's 95 Times

I posted this in September 2011. Since that time I have added another 14 times through Luke's gospel. And what I said here at 81 times still holds true at 95.

Did you know if you read two chapters of the Old Testament each day (takes about 10 minutes on average) and two chapters of the New Testament each day (another ten minutes on average) you will read the entire Old Testament once a year and the New Testament three times each year.  I call it the 2+2=1+3 Bible Reading Plan.

I hope you will make the time to read God's word every day.
--------------------
 Indeed, the word of God is living and effective, sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating even between soul and spirit, joints and marrow, and able to discern reflections and thoughts of the heart.   (Hebrews 4:12).
Honestly, I am not boasting. I am only trying to make an important point. I’ve read the entire New Testament eighty-one times since I started keeping record in 1975.
As I prepared a few moments ago for my nightly reading ritual, I opened my Bible and it fell to Luke’s gospel. The first thought that entered my mind as my eye focused on the page heading was, “I'm bored. I want to read something else.”
I know all the stories in Luke. I can quote many passages from memory. I’ve even taught several classes on that gospel.
But just as quickly as that thought dropped into my mind, another followed: Without fail, each time I have read Luke’s gospel, the Holy Spirit has shown me something new . . . a different perspective of an eternal truth; A necessary reminder of an earlier insight; A nuance I’d not noticed during any of my previous times through the pages. And once in a while He has shown me something that absolutely stunned me with a life-altering revelation.

Eighty-one times I’ve read Luke’s gospel. And eighty-one times I’ve learned something new.
And so the point: The next time you sit down to read your Bible, regardless of the many times you’ve read or heard the stories, don’t ever think the Holy Spirit is unable to give you a new insight, a gracious filling of your cup, a soothing of your fears, or doubts, or confusions. Don’t think He is unable to change your life through His living pages.
The testimonies of men and women throughout 2000 years of Church history attest again and again and again to this truth: the Bible – all of it, from Genesis through Revelation – is truly a living document, able to change lives. 
Even on the eighty-second time through.

6 comments:

Barb Schoeneberger said...

So true. We are a work in progress and if we pursue God through His holy Word, He always shows a little more of Himself. Sort of like Hide and Seek. Only God's objective is always to be caught and we are gathered into His heavenly embrace every time.

Rich Maffeo said...

Hide and seek. Great analogy . . . especially noting that God wants to be found. Thank, Barb.

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you. I'll try once again, although some parts of the OT are so boring.

God bless.

Rich Maffeo said...

Victor, I am very glad you said what you did. LOTS of people find parts of the OT boring. I count myself as one of them. Some parts are nearly mind-numbing boring. But I found a solution decades ago, and that solution has helped me. What is it? Skip those parts.

That is not to say those parts are not important. They ARE, and God has taught me wonderful truths when I read those 'boring' parts. But there is SO much more to the OT than those boring parts, and we ought not let those parts dissuade us from the rest.

I posted this essay a few times. My suggestions might help you and others: http://thecontemplativecatholicconvert.blogspot.com/2010/12/bible-reading-plan.html

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Thank you for your reading plan, Rich. I'll start today.

Now then, do you have a plan on how to play the guitar? See today's post: http://timeforreflections.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/and-now-truth.html

God bless.

Rich Maffeo said...

Victor, very cute. I left a response on you blog. :-)