There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Thursday, July 17, 2014

How Long Has It Been?


We hear a lot in homilies during each Mass about the love of God, and His compassion, and His mercy. And that is good, for I think too often we think God is rarely merciful, or compassionate, or in love with us.

 

But there is an element of God's Personality -- a side I've rarely heard about in the last couple of decades.

 

I thought about neglected and yet eternal truth as I listened to my audio Bible this morning. This is from Hebrews chapter 12:

 

"You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect .... [therefore] see to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven? ..... for our “God is a consuming fire.”

 

The entire chapter, of course, is important to read for context, but as I listened to the chapter I wondered how long it has been, in all my hearing of God's mercy, love, and compassion, how long has it been since I also heard -- and been warned-- "our God is a consuming fire"?

 

Rarely have I heard in homilies God is not one to mess with. His patience is not without limit. His commandments are not open for debate. And though His judgment might be delayed, such delay does not mean He does not see.

 

It's been decades for me. How long has it been since you have been warned that our God is a consuming fire?

 

No comments: