There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, December 1, 2013

Because I . . . ?

 
 I posted this once before. I got to thinking about it again today:
 
-----------
 
 “For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is no one like Me . . . .  (Isaiah 46:9)
 
 
 
Because I,
emphasis on I,
cannot conceive of Your limitless power
that simply speaks,
and galaxies suddenly appear
from utter nothingness,
therefore I am tempted to believe
You do not exist.

Because I,
emphasis on I,
cannot conceive of Your limitless love
that loves me
despite all I’ve done
that only I know I’ve done,
so I am tempted to believe
You do not really love me that much.

Because I,
emphasis on I,
cannot conceive of Your forgiveness
that reaches into the utter depths of my depravity
and washes me spotless,
therefore I am tempted to believe
You have not truly forgiven me
of all I’ve done.

Because I,
emphasis on I,
cannot conceive the infinite mind, heart and motive
of an infinite God,
I am tempted to believe
it is all a superstitious myth.

Can such arrogance be more profound?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see how it definitely could be arrogance, and my first reaction was, "ouch!" Could it also be fear of trusting something or Someone that sounds too good to be true? I'm often confused with where the line is between our choosing not to believe, and our eyes being blinded by Satan or even God. Any thoughts?

Rich Maffeo said...

Hello, Anonymous. Certainly part of our reluctance to trust God could also be tied to fear of trusting Him, or that trusting Him sounds to good to be true.

Those are also tied, of course, to lack of faith (yes, I know that is circular reasoning).

I also wrote a piece (you can search for it on this site or do an internet search for "My first thought")--anyway, that piece also addresses your question because it is also my continuing questions.

As for your confusion where the line is between our choosing not to believe and our eyes being blinded by satan -- Satan has absolutely no control over God's children. He must get permission from God to do anything to one of God's Blood-bought sons or daughters.

Although certainly Christians are tried and tested, it is God's purpose in the trial to make us more into the image of His Son. If we are blind to certain truths of Scripture, it is only for a divine purpose -- that being our eventual understanding and maturity. Our confusions ought to lead us to continually question God and then seek answers to those questions throught the Scriptures and through others who love Christ and know His word like the back of their proverbial hand.

Do not fixate on your confusions. You will have some confusions until the day you stand before Him and all shadows melt into light. But let the confusions and the questions stir you to continue seeking, asking, knocking.

Now, all I have to do is follow my own advice. ;-)