There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Circumcision and Abortion


I posted this a couple of years ago – May 2011 to be precise. Judging from the vitriol that continues to spread across internet social media sites, I suspect nothing has changed since I originally wrote this. I decided to repost it because how one acts and votes on this issue of abortion will surely help determine his or her eternal destiny.

--------------
Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?' Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. (Matthew 25:44-46).

I had a disturbing internet exchange with some strangers yesterday. A social media friend posted an article about the proposed San Francisco ban on circumcision that will make its way to the ballot.

I responded that I find it curious that so many people are concerned about cutting off a boy’s foreskin and yet at the same time be so nonchalant about slicing apart little boys (and girls) bodies in the womb during an abortion.

That started a minor firestorm. One woman responded, “I'll keep my scalpels off your body, you keep your filthy religion off mine. Sound good?”

I am not sure what caused her to knee-jerk into the accusation of religious-mongering (I hadn’t brought God into the discussion). But there it was. The gauntlet was down.

I tried to redirect the discussion and responded, “It doesn't require faith in God to know that what is in the womb is a human being. That is science. And cutting it apart is cruel and inhuman punishment. That is truth.”

A moment later a guy entered the fray with something equally specious about sperm and DNA and how the fetus is not actually alive  To which I suggested the two search the internet for key words such as “fetal development” (such as here and here).

The woman shot back (clearly without bothering to read anything about fetal development) that the fetus doesn’t feel pain until late in the pregnancy, and that the fetus is not conscious. I responded if that is the criteria we use to assess life, then we are in great danger as a people.

Within minutes, I was accused of being insensitive to the “plight of millions of women and their families around the world,” and I was “too (expletive) stupid”  and that I am “wasting air someone else could be using.”

In other words, society would be better off if I were dead.

I bowed out of the discussion that was clearly going nowhere.

But I thought a while about the virulence hurled at me by strangers when I asked how anyone can be concerned about circumcision, and not recognize hypocrisy in their pro-abortion position.

I know nothing of the religious faith of the people who called me stupid and wished me dead. I assume they do not consider themselves Christians. But that is not necessarily a valid assumption. I have met far too many people who call themselves “Christian” and “Catholic” and “Protestant” who not only support abortion, but vote for candidates who are demonstrably pro-abortion.

If Scripture is true, and Church teaching has any influence on how we live our Christian faith, then a pro-abortion sympathy is an eternally deadly position for a Christian to hold. If we feed the poor and visit those in prison, as Jesus said in the passage above, but we do nothing to protect the unborn – indeed, if we (God forbid!) actively or passively promote abortion through the ballot box – do we really believe we will avoid the eternal punishment Jesus warned about in that passage cited at the beginning of this post?  Or in this one below?:

"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven,” Jesus warned, “But only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?' Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers’ (Matthew 7:21-23).

I expect people who deny Jesus as their Lord to rationalize away the idea that abortion is nothing less than wickedness and worthy of eternal punishment. But those who claim Jesus to be their Lord ought to pay very close attention to His warnings.

As St. Paul put it: Do not be deceived. God is not mocked. (Galatians 6:7)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I also don't understand how some people can feel pity for abused animals, supporting shelters with their time and money, and then be so vicious in their response to those who are trying to "save the baby humans." I love animals, too, but... ~ Rosemary in Ohio

Rich Maffeo said...

Rosemary, to that I say with sad bewilderment, "God have mercy on us."

George @ Convert Journal said...

"...one of the least of these..." This is very good, valid connection between Matthew 25:44-46 and abortion support.

George @ Convert Journal said...

"...one of the least of these..." This is very good, valid connection between Matthew 25:44-46 and abortion support.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks for commenting, George. Would that ALL Christians would agree with the connection, and the very dire warning of our Lord, in this matter.

Patricia said...

Richard, the absolute lack of any compassion whatsoever toward the unborn child, as well as any concern for the welfare of women victimized by abortion is deeply disturbing. There is an absolute blackout of research connecting abortion to high suicide and depression rates as well as increases in breast cancer and future miscarrage Add to that the vicious reaction to someone like yourself who is simply trying to present a reasonable premise, and one wonders that there is more to this than simple difference of opinion. I truly believe abortion is diabolical. People who bring feces and jars of urine to threaten lawmakers...as in Texas recently, have surrended a huge chunk of their dignity as human beings. May God help them to see the LIGHT. Bless you for at least trying to reason with them.

Rich Maffeo said...

Patricia, your use of the word, 'diabolical' is accurate. I call it also demonic, Satanic, and otherwise rooted in the lake of fire where Satan and those who serve him will reside forever.

I know those are very strong words (I suppose they can be considered that way), but I am astounded that people have no trouble calling (for example) Hitler's policies of genocide 'evil' but at the same time think the genocide of innocent babies of all races is simply a woman's 'choice.'

Evil has blinded our eyes. And even Christians -- Catholic and Protestants -- share a huge part of the blood already spilt around the world.

How those who name Christ as their Lord can vote for people and policies that kill babies is something God will certainly judge in eternity, and also in the here-and-now -- or we know nothing of God's holiness and judgment.

Anonymous said...

I'm pro-life and against infant circumcision. The need for circumcision was done away with in Christ. What about this don't you understand?

Rich Maffeo said...

Thank you for your comment, Anonymous. I think you missed the point of my post. I was not trying to address the benefits or disadvantages of circumcision, but rather to demonstrate the irrational and, frankly, evil position of pro-abortionists.

Again, thanks for reading my post and commenting.

kkollwitz said...

Yesterday we did Lifechain out on the main shopping drag. Got a couple of middle fingers which is the usual. This year we also got a 20 something man yelling, "Let's kill some more babies, wooo!"

People can't stand a sign of contradiction, starting with Cain.

Rich Maffeo said...

It is scary how blatantly evil people are becoming. To say, "Let's kill more babies, woooo!" makes for a very chilling realization. Such an attitude is nothing less than Satanic.