There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Stressful Times of Prayer


The tongue is a fire (James 3:6)
 
Sometimes prayer is a stressful time for me. Even distressful. Like this morning when the Holy Spirit reminded me of how easily angered I can become. Like yesterday. About how easily I permit harsh words, hurtful words, to sometimes flow from my mouth.
 
I really do not like what I do at times. I really do not like who I am at times.

The Holy Spirit was not yet finished. He then reminded me of a verse in Proverbs I’d memorized a long time ago: He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city (16:32).
 
Then He brought into my thoughts a portion of the ‘Universal Prayer’ attributed to Pope Clement XI: Help me to conquer anger with gentleness, greed by generosity, apathy by fervor. Help me forget myself and reach out toward others.
 
And finally, as if to punctuate His point, I opened my Facebook page shortly after my time with the Lord, and followed a posted link to this YouTube video. Its title is, Change Your Words, Change Your World. It is well worth the short minute or two to watch. Here is the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4DyFh9iWA 

Sometimes prayer is a stressful time for me. Even distressful. But without those times of self-rediscovery I would not have reason to bring to Christ my sins, seek His forgiveness, cleansing, and purging – all designed to change me more into His image.

 

3 comments:

Rich Maffeo said...

Les, a friend of mine, does not know how to post this to the blog comments. He sent it instead to me via email and asked me to post it to the comments instead. Here it is:

Good afternoon Rich......and thanks for sending me that brief YouTube video.......I had an uncle who was very close to me as I grew up and I would spend my summers at his farm each year.....It was just the two of us and we learned to lean on each other in some tough times. For you see my uncle was totally blind and he taught me how to accept the things in life that he knew someday I would face......Growing up as a young boy and having a blind uncle teach me that it doesn't make any difference if I can't run, or feel that fresh mowed grass between toes.....for having close friends and taking the time to reach out and touch someone is more special than all the other things I assumed I couldn't do.........To end this little story......when I was 14 years old it was my "blind uncle".... Who was also named Les..... teach me how to drive a car....the blind guy teaching the crippled kid how to drive...God had to be some where in that story. Thanks Rich for your e-mail...Once again the Holy Sprit has used your words to touch my heart in such a special way today................Blessings my friend......Les

Barb Schoeneberger said...

I've never thought about prayer time this way, but it's true that bringing all our faults and mistakes to Jesus really helps us. So far, I've never been turned down when I asked Him for help, even when the answer is a long time in coming. He has to get us ready, doesn't He?

Rich Maffeo said...

I like what you say when you say He has never turned you down when you ask for help . . . although the answer may be a long time in coming. So very true in my life, too. Yes, He is getting us ready to live by faith, not by sight.

Lord, help us learn the lessons well.