There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

How Long Has it Been?

Behold, I stand at the door and knock (Revelation 3:20).

Several years ago my wife and I flew from Seattle to Southern California to celebrate her mother’s 90th birthday. On the flight, Nancy sat next to an elderly couple. I guessed their ages somewhere in the late 60s or early 70s. I learned later, as we gathered our luggage, the couple were on their way to visit the husband’s son. They’d not seen or spoken with each other in thirty years.

Thirty. Years.

As we left baggage claim I shook my head in sadness for them. Nancy didn’t know why they’d been estranged so long. The couple didn’t share that part of the story. Yet, I wondered about the regret the father must have felt – and hopefully the son as well – for having been apart for three decades. It was surely the blessing of God that the father was still alive and healthy enough to travel to what I hoped was a joyous reunion.

Yet, even as I write this, years later, the image of that couple brings to mind two very important points.

First, if your parent is still alive, call. Today. Even if – especially if – you’ve been estranged for whatever reason. The Lord’s warning,
If you forgive others their transgressions, your heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions (Matthew 6:14-15)
applies to everyone.

Tomorrow, their lives – or yours – can change forever.

The second point is this:

Are you estranged from your heavenly Father? How long has it been since you visited Him at Mass? How long has it been since you called on Him in prayer and met with Him through meditating on Scripture? Please, don’t let your past sins – regardless how grievous they might be – don’t let disappointments, remorse, or apathy keep you from renewing your relationship with Him. For if you listen carefully you will hear Him at your heart’s door, knocking. Even now, as you read this, He knocks, yearning for you to open up to Him.


We do not know if tomorrow our lives may change, forever.

2 comments:

MCD said...

How true your words are, Rich! I certainly realized that when my Mom suddenly passed away almost two years ago and told my relatives and friends the same - call your parents and relatives that you have been estranged from and tell them you love/forgive them. You never know what is in store for tomorrow.

Rich Maffeo said...

MCD, I am so sorry you learned that lesson they way you did. It's a risk we ought all never experience.