There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Friday, June 3, 2011

Faithful in Little, Fruitful in Much

Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God . . . (1 Corinthians 1:1)


These are the first words of St. Paul's letter to the Christians at Corinth. When I read them I wondered if Paul knew his letter would eventually become part of the Bible.

No, of course he didn’t. And neither did Sts. Peter, or James, Jude, John . . . none of the apostles knew their letters would survive 2,000 years and give comfort and direction to millions of Christians not even born yet. They were simply doing at the time what they felt God had called them to do at the moment . . . write letters of exhortation and encouragement to others.

There’s a great take-home message in that, for though our words won't become Holy Scripture, what can our words or acts accomplish for God? How far-reaching will they be?

We don't know. Yet, as was true of the apostles, so it is true for you and me. We are called by God to faithfully share His word and His life with others, to teach, exhort, challenge and comfort. And the result of our simple obedience? Consider God's promise to us through Isaiah (55:8):

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts.

For just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down And do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, Giving seed to him who sows and bread to him who eats, So shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; It shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it.

Christian: Be faithful in the little things. Remember what He did with a couple of fish and pieces of bread.

No comments: