There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, February 21, 2011

If Bernard Nathanson, then Certainly You and Me

I received an email today from a friend about Bernard Nathanson's death. Those involved in the pro-life movement for a while recognize the name. Nathanson was the premier abortion doctor and pro-abortion activist in the early 70's. By his own admission, he oversaw the deaths of 75,000 babies in abortion clinics under his tutelage. He was a co-founder member of the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (now called NARAL Prochoice America) and often admitted that he and other abortion advocates in the 1960s inflated the numbers of women who died from illegal abortions at that time from a few hundred to 10,000 to gain sympathy for their cause.

You can read the article here: Bernard Nathanson Dead.

The man had a lot of blood on his hands.

But, oh, the mercy of God. Nathanson caught a glimpse of his sins, confessed them to God, and was baptized into the Catholic Church in 1996.

The man with all of that blood on his hands had every stain, every blood cell removed by the eternally divine blood of Jesus Christ.

Nathanson died February 21, 2011, a forgiven, fully pardoned, cleansed and redeemed son of God.

So, why do I share that story?

Have YOU the blood of 75,000 aborted babies on your hands? No, of course not. And so, as God cleansed and forgave the penitent Bernard Nathanson, God will also forgive and cleanse YOU of your sins -- whatever they may be.

Oh!  What keeps anyone from turning to Christ for forgiveness and the power to live for Him from this day forward?

7 comments:

newday said...

Rich,

Your post literally hit me "like ton of bricks" The part that really got to me is "Nathanson died a forgiven, fully pardoned, cleansed and redeemed son of God" Powerful stuff!!!

Rich Maffeo said...

I don't think it was ever about women's right. I think it was about being able to do what you want to do, regardless of the consequences.

Rich Maffeo said...

Mary, yes. Quite powerful. I am convinced no one truly understands the love and mercy of God.

Anonymous said...

Well, certainly, every one of those babies went to Heaven - so what could the man possibly lose by asking for forgiveness? Nothing! And what could he gain? Everything - His savior, the whole communion of saints, 75,000 fully alive and perfectly formed grandchildren, and all the angels of Heaven.

Rich Maffeo said...

Hello, Anonymous. I am not sure I understand your point. It sounds as if you mean Nathanson's guilt is lessened by the truth of the salvation of those babies. I am sure that is not what you mean.

Anonymous said...

No, of course that's not what I meant; sorry I accidently had it looking that way. All I meant was that because of Jesus' Divine Mercy and Dr. Nathanson's willingness to repent, Dr. Nathanson was reconciled to the Savior, and thus all those lives - the life of Dr. Nathanson and all 75,000 babies - were reconciled in Heaven - despite how the evil ways of the world had them separated. That's what I meant by saying that he had NOTHING to lose by confessing his sins! I would also like to use this scripture to clarify: "He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, (for) the old order has passed away. The one who sat on the throne said, 'Behold I make all things new'" (Revelation 21:4-5) Hope you understand my point better now so that my comment may bring the encouragement that I initially intended.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks, Anonymous, for that surperb clarification. And yes, I am sure your answer encourages others who wonder about God's mercy and willingness to forgive even the most egregious sins. Thank you.