There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Consider Job

Why then did you bring me out of the womb? I wish I had died before any eye saw me (Job 10:18).

Like a heavy woollen shroud, despair smothered Job. Disasters ravaged his property, murdered his servants and destroyed his children. Boils covered his flesh. His friends heaped more misery onto his sagging shoulders with accusations that his hidden sins brought death and destruction to those he loved.

No wonder Job wished he had died in the womb. I probably would, too. 

But, as he sat in sackcloth and ashes, Job did not know the immeasurable good that God would bring to millions of others who would also suffer desperate heart-ripping trials. His stalwart resolve to serve God, even from the pit of despair, has helped saints and sinners through the centuries continue on with God despite their personal conflagrations. Caught between disaster and fluttering faith, men and women have looked to Job’s ordeal and found one more whisper of encouragement to keep walking with God, even when every step set their souls on fire.

I’m glad Job didn't die in the womb. His faith in our God, who sometimes seems galaxies
away, has often helped me stay the course, keep the faith, and look beyond my heartache to the One who, in truth, is always good, and ultimately a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

4 comments:

Health3rd said...

Beautifully stated as I have witnessed the same realization after seeing my dad live like Job the past few years - yet his Faith remained the Lighthouse despite all trials and offered great strength to all. His greatest legacy was in the last Job years. Through it all, I read and re-read Job - only for a reminder of the awesome outcome.

Rich Maffeo said...

Thanks for sharing this with us.

rich

Anonymous said...

Richard, have you read Philip Yancey's book - Disappointment with God? It's all about Job and I love the way that he speaks of when God finally responds to Job. He doesn't give him an explanation, quite the opposite, but it was enough for Job. Yancey says that it was the experience of God that satisfied Job. Thanks for this post.
Andie

Rich Maffeo said...

I think I did . . . decades ago. Amazing to me how much a person can learn in decades. And how much a person doesn't learn in decades.

rich