There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Holy Intimacy

O Lord, you have searched me and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O Lord (Psalm 139:1-4).

Psalm 139 is perhaps among the clearest descriptions of how intimately God knows us -- and perhaps more important, how much He loves us. You might want to take some time to read the entire Psalm. And while you read, be reminded, God knows our thoughts – every one of them. He knows our daydreams, our secret sins, and He hears all of our words and all of our whispers.

Nothing is hidden from Him.

Nothing.

And yet, despite His full knowledge of who we are and what we do, He offers us again, and again – and yet again – an intimate relationship with Him. This is not a Hollywood intimacy, a cheap and tawdry shadow of His holy love. This is a warmth, a closeness, an excitement possible only when offered by the Creator of intimacy -- and made possible only through the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus.

Think of it! The sinless Creator became a child, who grew to be a man, who then paid the death penalty OUR sins deserved. And with His payment, everyone who offers his or her life to Jesus in repentance can know that holy intimacy.

I can’t think of a better gift to receive this Christmas.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, your words are so profound and true and speak straight to the heart. We can reflect on this for our entire lives and never really comprehend the scope of this kind of love. And, when we don't accept his mercy and forgiveness, we belittle his sacrifice and love. Wonderful thoughts to meditate on, thank you.
Andie

Rich Maffeo said...

Well said. I never thought of how our unacceptance of His love belittles His love.

Unknown said...

I appreciated not only your post, but the comment as well. Written reassurances such as these help remind me of the love He has for me, even when I find it difficult to love myself.

Rich Maffeo said...

Melissa, your last sentence brings to mind something C. S. Lewis wrote:

"I think that if God forgives us, we must forgive ourselves. Otherwise, it is almost like setting up ourselves as higher tribunal than Him."

Or as St. Paul wrote: "Where sin abounds, [God's] grace doth much more abound" (Romans 5 -- the last few verses).

Thanks for writing, Melissa.