There is no other name but Jesus whereby we must be saved. Welcome to my blog: In Him Only. I hope you will be encouraged by what you read.

Monday, November 15, 2010

What if they said "No"?

As Jesus was walking beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon called Peter and his brother Andrew. They were casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. “Come, follow me,” Jesus said, “and I will make you fishers of men. At once they left their nets and followed him.” (Matthew 5:18-19)

As I read this passage two things dropped into my mind. First, if I were the one choosing potential leaders of my movement, I would have bypassed these guys and sought others with better financial resources, or at least some political clout.

I'm glad Jesus doesn't chose people like I do.

The second thing I noticed – the men left their livelihoods. It cost them plenty to follow Jesus. And follow Him they did, wherever He led.

Even to their martyrdom.

What if Peter and Andrew had said no to Jesus? What if they’d decided to stay with the family business and not risk their fortunes on this itinerant preacher’s ideas? A few verses later Jesus calls two others, James and John. They also left their work to follow Him. How different would our church look today if they had said no?

For one thing, we wouldn’t have the three epistles of John, the Revelation or the Gospel of John. Nor would we have Peter’s epistles. Think how much poorer the Church would be today without those writings. And how much did Andrew’s influence, and James’ influence enrich the early church? How many men and women came to faith because of their lives and words and witness?

Only eternity knows. But I know they – and our heavenly Father -- are glad they said yes.

Perhaps more important – how much poorer would the church be today if YOU had said no? Whom have you touched -- whom have you influenced -- for Christ by your life and you words?

Only eternity knows.

But I know they – and our heavenly Father -- are glad you said yes.

"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.” (1 Corinthians 15:58)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard, I love this post. Can you imagine the charisma and the love that Jesus extended in that invitation? What it must have been like to be in his presence? We have a glimpse through the responses that we see to his invitations. The people who were changed because of him. He's still inviting, he's still transforming, he's still working with us, and he's still and will forever be in love with us.
Andie

Rich Maffeo said...

Amen.